Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partagas Black Label Clasico
For my first cigar review of 2010, I have chosen the Partagas Black Label. Inside you will find sun-grown Connecticut Havano wrapper, blended with Nicaraguan and Piloto Cubano Ligero tobaccos laced with a Dominican-grown 'La Vega Especial' binder.

First impressions of this cigar are dominated by it's very dark, almost jet black color, tight construction and small veined sweet smelling wrapper. It cut very clean but the cap did come loose but the cigar held together nicely. The customary pre-light draw revealed a very tight draw. The Partagas lit easily with whiffs of black smoke which I contributed to it's black wrapper. The initial draw was very spicy, almost bitter.
As the first third progressed, so did the flavor. Rich leather, pepper and cedar notes dominated throughout. The ash was gun metal gray with mottled areas of black. After the first half inch the leather and pepper tone down as the cedar/earthy notes take hold. About an inch in, slight coffee notes start to reveal themselves, but quickly disappear. The burn was slow and even, which you would expect of a tightly rolled cigar.
During the second third, the burn was even and the ash held for 2.5 inches before it fell. As the whole stick warmed, the sweet oils came to the surface and coated the palate. Leathery and cedar notes give way to an almost spicy sweetness. The draw loosened a bit and the smoke got thicker out of both ends.
As the burn progressed into the last third, I was surprised by light notes of peppermint and coffee (a great combo), and it lasted for an inch or so before it slowly gave way to deep, earthy tones with a hint of spice. Total burn time was 1 hour 15 minutes, and I didn't nurse it at all. If you were to take your time, it would easily last another 15 minutes.

Overall, this is probably not a cigar you would offer to a friend who has never smoked one before. It's bold, complex and full of flavor. I like a hard draw on a cigar, but this was even a little too tight for me. I'll give Partagas the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not all wrapped this tight. On a scale of 1-10, I give it an overall rating of 8, and would have given it another half point if it had drawn a little easier. My advise is to go out buy and burn one for yourself..... You won't be disappointed.
I would like some feed back on this review, as it is my very first. I have started a group on Facebook called "Spokane Cigar Smokers" and I plan on doing a different review every two weeks or so. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Common Sense, is not so common. -Ben Franklin
Great review...I had a great experience with the Partagas Black Label Magnifico. Great line of cigars and accompanied by a great price.
Nice review bro, and nice signature. Smile
I smoked a few of these and liked them. If you are digging the non-cuban Partagas, I would recommend trying the Spanish Rosado.

If you ever make your way out to Seattle lets herf dude.
I liked your review. My only suggestion would be to try to include a pic or two.

Again, thanks.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Excellent Review!
Thanks for all the great feed back. Does anyone have a suggestion for my next review? I personally smoke sticks in the $5-8 range, and there are so many it's hard to pick.
Common Sense, is not so common. -Ben Franklin
I always recommend anything from Oliva, LFD, Tatuaje, Pepin, Camacho, Padilla, and on and on

One of my favorite sticks in that price range is the 5 Vegas Miami
Try the Fuente Rosado Toro.