Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men's Wedding Bands
You are exactly right about the "scratches" being small pieces of material that have become attached to the tungsten. John is correct on the Mr clean also being extra fine. I would be careful on what scotch bright you use as there dozens and I have most. The white is one of the finest. My thought is to use what a metallurgist would use and that's jewelers rouge. You can clean most everything with it and will last for years.

Years ago I had a jeweler that had ultrasonic cleaner that blew my mind on how it cleaned gold. I ended up getting a Branson b200 10 years ago and use it every day for my glasses and momma uses it for her jewelry. I paid $36 and now they are $120. SHOCK I did find this one that is IDENTICAL carbon copy "I'm thinkin made by branson" on ebay for $45 or best offer with free ship. Good thing if you have much intricate jewelry like chains and rings with stones.

[Image: 17108.jpg]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gold-Jewelry-Diamond...2a0d312258

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I can't help but wonder if you guys are confusing tungsten carbide with titanium. While titanuim is twice as hard as silver or gold, it's considerably softer than tungsten carbide. With a Mohs scale rating of 6, I think there's possibly some concern in using abrasives to clean finished titanuim. Since steel is usually around the same hardness rating of 6 (up to 8 for some hardened steels), you would likely scratch it with steel wool and perhaps a Scotch Brite pad.

Tungsten Carbide, an alloy that's even harder than tungsten, is an entirely different story. As Teck mentions, there are few metals/minerals that can physically scratch tungsten carbide. It's rated 8.5 to 9 on the Mohs scale. A steel file can be taken to tungsten carbide without damaging the ring, as steel is the softer metal. I don't think there's anything in even the most abrasive household scouring pad with a hardness level higher than 8.5.

The ultrasonic cleaner is great for most softer metals, but it's said to avoid such cleaners for tungsten carbide as it may damange the molecular structure of the alloy after prolonged use (more than a minute).

My ring has a brushed finish on much of the outside, which seems to be a haven for picking up shavings from other metals. I remember my first week back at the gym after my wedding, I was certain I scratched it on one of the bars. I tried the toothpaste method, as it works wonders on nickel-plated razors. It worked well on the polished finish of the ring, but wouldn't remove the metal shavings from the brushed finish. The Scotch Brite is the way to go. It hasn't looked this good since my wedding day.
(01-10-2011, 07:23 PM)Pete Wrote: I can't help but wonder if you guys are confusing tungsten carbide with titanium. While titanuim is twice as hard as silver or gold, it's considerably softer than tungsten carbide. With a Mohs scale rating of 6, I think there's possibly some concern in using abrasives to clean finished titanuim. Since steel is usually around the same hardness rating of 6 (up to 8 for some hardened steels), you would likely scratch it with steel wool and perhaps a Scotch Brite pad.

Tungsten Carbide, an alloy that's even harder than tungsten, is an entirely different story. As Teck mentions, there are few metals/minerals that can physically scratch tungsten carbide. It's rated 8.5 to 9 on the Mohs scale. A steel file can be taken to tungsten carbide without damaging the ring, as steel is the softer metal. I don't think there's anything in even the most abrasive household scouring pad with a hardness level higher than 8.5.

The ultrasonic cleaner is great for most softer metals, but it's said to avoid such cleaners for tungsten carbide as it may damange the molecular structure of the alloy after prolonged use (more than a minute).

My ring has a brushed finish on much of the outside, which seems to be a haven for picking up shavings from other metals. I remember my first week back at the gym after my wedding, I was certain I scratched it on one of the bars. I tried the toothpaste method, as it works wonders on nickel-plated razors. It worked well on the polished finish of the ring, but wouldn't remove the metal shavings from the brushed finish. The Scotch Brite is the way to go. It hasn't looked this good since my wedding day.
You sound like you know your materials... Smile
I'm glad it works for you. Being around tools, tooling and machine shops I know my share about metals. I know there is a difference between tungsten and tungsten carbide like there over 150 grades of stainless. Carpenter 20 being my fave since it's resistant to acids. I have many blades and bits made of carbide. I actually keep tungsten carbide rod at the house. It's used as the tip for heli arc and metal cutting lathes.

At the shop in the last 3 years 3M has out done itself again. The have paper/films that now range 3000, to 8000 grit for wet or dry. When a Kroger bag would be considered a 2500 grit, it makes you think. The 3000 has NO resistance on your hand and is pretty amazing. The 4 to 8000 will shine auto paint without using any compounds to a blinding finish no manufacturer can achieve. The 8000 won't scratch a CD. That's what I was would have suggested had the scotch brite not done the job. I just threw out the ultrasonic cleaner for those that have other jewelry because I use mine at least 5 times a week and works great.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

well, I would personally go with the toothpaste anyway. It has antibacterial qualities that can help to avoid issues under the ring (I dont know about you guys but I've had mold and other nasties grow under my watches and other things)
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer