Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any handymen around??
ok guys. i want to build a windscreen for my smoker. i posted on another forum, but can't quite get the idea that i'm looking for quite right. thought maybe someone here could help. i was thinking of getting a 4' x 8' of half inch plywood to make a windscreen. i was thinking cut it in (2) 2 1/2 foot sections, leaving a 3 foot section for the back. standing them up on end and putting the hinges on. like this I (hinge) I (hinge) I. what kind of hinges would i use and how do i attach them? my woodworking skills are non existant, and a trip to the hardware store is a long one, so i want to make sure i get it right the first time. does that make sense? i hope to come out with a wind screen that would be collapsible, so when i wasn't using it i could store it easily, or take it to dad's or wherever. any advice is appreciated.
Get yourself 4 door hinges. Place on top and bottom of panel edges. Predrill the holes, and bolt them with washers on each side.

Should hold up pretty well.

You don't need anything fancy, right?
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
(01-25-2010, 10:37 PM)Hunlock Wrote: Get yourself 4 door hinges. Place on top and bottom of panel edges. Predrill the holes, and bolt them with washers on each side.

Should hold up pretty well.

You don't need anything fancy, right?

definitely not shooting for fancy. just something that can fold flat and then out and into a triangle. do door hinges have that much of a range of motion?
[Image: imager.php?img=cats_image_0003.jpg&resiz...ension=350]They make a 3 way hinge so they will fold into each other in any dirrection and lay flat.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

If you need a wind screen, then you are using this on windy days? What are you going to use to stop your windscreen from blowing over?
Consider some sort of legs.
(01-26-2010, 08:29 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: If you need a wind screen, then you are using this on windy days? What are you going to use to stop your windscreen from blowing over?
Consider some sort of legs.

i was thinking of just making some cutouts in it to put a brick or cinder block to stabilize it. it will be sitting up on my deck, protected somewhat from the big wind gusts. but i don't know, good thinking here.
You only need it a foot high to stop the wind from hitting the vents underneath, is that right? 3 pieces of wood to form a triangle wont fall. Or a piece of thin alum flashing from Home depot or Lowes would work to slide over the base.

[Image: vvent2.jpg]

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.