Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring dry cigars back
Here's an article from Cheaphumidors.com

It has happened to all of us at one time or another. You simply
forgot about that nice box of stogies you had in the trunk of your
car for 3 months...well, hopefully not that long. I always get
asked what you can do to restore dried cigars.

The most important thing to remember is that restoring a dried
cigar takes time--lots of time and patience. Don't be in a hurry to get the job done.

Step 1:
Put your cigars in a non-humidified humidor. If this doesn't exist, then you can use a Ziploc bag with some holes poked in it. You want to bring the cigars to a steady humidity level that is much less than 70 percent. Let them sit in this environment for about 2-3 days.

Step 2:
Dampen a fresh, clean sponge with distilled water. Place it inside
the Ziploc bag, and allow it to sit there, not touching any cigars, for at least one more week. This will slowly add humidity to the cigars at a rate that will prevent the wrappers from bursting.

Step 3
After two weeks, your cigars should start to look a lot healthier.
Put them in your charged, maintained humidor at this point. Don't
smoke them yet. Let them rest for while. I would suggest a month or two, just to make sure things are back to normal. Then you can feel free to smoke to your hearts content.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
NANPs response was accurate.
(01-14-2010, 08:31 PM)Not A Nice Person Wrote: No, not really.
While you can replace the water that has evaporated from your cigars, the oils are gone forever. It is the oils that provide the taste and flavors. If the cigar has dried out that much, even after you rehumidify it, it will taste like more a cigarette than a cigar.

Having said that, I have brought back a few cigars form premature deaths. I slowly humidified them in their own private container then after 3 weeks of brining them roughly half back moved them into my regular humidor and left them for 2 to 6 months. They were fine, but these cigars suffered only being left in a leather case for 2 weeks in my jacket pocket (in the winter).