Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Matches V Lighters
Me and my buddy went to the closest cigar bar type shop and decided to smoke one there. This was my first time smoking inside and I was really excited, my parents dont let me smoke in the house..

So we check out and walk to the back and cut the cigars. We got matches with our cigars but my buddy wanted to see if he could get his hands on a lighter. We both just went with the matches which I'm very very use to.

Now for my question: Is it necessery to get a "torch" or flame thrower type lighter? I seem to get by with cedar matches. I always get an even burn and Ive heard that the butane in these lighters can give the cigar a different taste? What do you guys use or prefer?
There are lots of arguments and discussions on this subject. One of the keys to properly lighting a cigar is not to overheat it. Believe it or not, the torch lighter is one of the best ways not to overheat your cigar. Because it lights so fast. A match is safe too because it just isn't that hot. Although it can lead to overheating if you draw too much on it.
Personally, I dont give a rats a-- about the overheating. I am just spewing out what I've learned over the years. I hardly ever toast my cigars. I just want to get the darn thing lit so I can start smoking it. For my $ I love the torch. Triple torch is 3 times better. But more often than not I am using a single torch. The z-plus Zippo insert (do a search here on zippo or z-plus you'll come up with a million hits).

By the way, how successful are you in a breeze with those matches?
Well, this thread is done!

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Skipper, Thanks for the info! By the way as far as matches go in the breeze.. Lets just say I alway make sure I got someone with me to block that gust. Also, that idea of the Zippo Z plus insert really caught my attention. I honestly believe thats my next purchase.
I prefer a torch but I will use most anything in a pinch.
(12-30-2009, 09:54 PM)SenorSmoke Wrote: I prefer a torch but I will use most anything in a pinch.

Ive even used a car cigarette lighter when I had nothing else. lol
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
(12-31-2009, 05:24 AM)MikeD Wrote: Ive even used a car cigarette lighter when I had nothing else. lol

did you steal your from the Smithsonian?
Nana

The virtues of the zippo & insert are... 1- Zippo makes a lighter for everyone! I mean whatever your fancy or hobby or whatever, there's a zippo (or 10) for you! And then the insert. A great torch made by one of the best. And the combination is beyond the obvious. For instance, a torch lighter will fail. Has to. Too many tiny ports that must remain clear. IN a year or 2 it will fail. With this combo you just toss the $10 insert and get a new one. You still have your treasured lighter. I have a failed $140 prometheus and 2 failed Colibris valued at $60 and $110. $310 of lither that is basically a paper weight. My zippos all work and will continue to do so as long as there are the z-plus inserts.
Everything Skipper has said is where I stand on this one too. I have all the lighters skip talked about and a few more. lately though I find myself using soft flame butane lighters. I picked up a Xikar from Robbie at Cordova at last year's herf and most recently came across a great deal on an IM Double Corona. The Xikar has a lifetime warranty and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with a Double Corona. I love this type of lighter than for no other reason than it seems more refined and "cool" to me. There's just something about the soft flame...
The whole point of my reply is to say that I think how you light your cigar has a lot to do with your enjoyment of the cigar. It's just a part of the ritual of smoking and relaxing. I know a few guys who swear by cedar strips. One guy at my local has a $150 lighter to start his cedar! He does it that way because that's his ritual and I don't begrudge him for it. I do think he's a bit foolish at times but I'm a fool most of the time so.Tongue
At any rate, as is the case with everything cigars, do what makes you most enjoy this hobby and relax. The rest is just pomp and circumstance and boy do I love me some pomp!Smile
(12-31-2009, 05:24 AM)MikeD Wrote:
(12-30-2009, 09:54 PM)SenorSmoke Wrote: I prefer a torch but I will use most anything in a pinch.

Ive even used a car cigarette lighter when I had nothing else. lol

Was that for a Macanudo? Tongue Big Grin
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I even use the kitchen stove,I like the torch especially for touch ups and re-lighting a cigar that went out.Sometimes I use matches on smaller ring sizes or very dry and older cigars.What ever works for you. I like to collect different lighters so I can choose, triple torch for big ring smokes,double and single torch for smaller cigars.IMO every cigar aficionado should have a single and triple or double torch lighter a single torch is a must for touch ups. I have 4 of them in front of me in the command center and in every room in my house so no matter where I am I got fire for my ceegar!!! Big Grin

I also have OCD