Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuban Diplomaticos No 2
The Diplomaticos brand is a post-revolution cigar
introduced in 1966 from the Jose Marti factory and marketed as a less expensive version of the Montecristo
targeting the French. Ironically, it is now sought after
by some people because of it's much smaller production.
Nowadays they are priced the same a Montes. Originally
there were 5 sizes identical to the Monte line's 1 through 5. Numbers 6 & 7 were introduced in 1976 and were identical to the Monte Especials Nos. 1 & 2. The
two new sizes were discontinued in the early 80's for
unknown reasons. In 2001 the brand accounted for
0.3% of Habanos S. A. sales. These are all hand made
and all from full leaf and what sets them off from the
Montes is abundant use of ligero.

Diplomaticos No. 2, 52x6 1/8, Piramides
ARA (J Cano Factory) May 01.

This cigar along with the No. 1 are among my very
favorites. Somewhat difficult to find but they are out
there. I have probably gone through 15 boxes of these
over the years and have never opened a box that was
not absolutely beautiful, always with a chocolate wrapper. They are superbly made and remind me of
why I fell in love with Cuban cigars. The prelight draw is creamy chocolate with almost a cinnamon woody taste. Easy to light, rarely ever a run of any sort. No draw problems. A hold fast light grey ash and simply tons of smoke. In fact an easy draw is always in order with the No. 2. I call these medium to full with a complex, changing, rich spicy cuban taste becoming even more full flavored as
you near the end. A superb afternoon smoke with an
ice cold beer.
This cigar leaves me with a nice totally relaxed buzz. I
often refer to this cigar as a valium!
If you have the opportunity to try one of these go ahead, you won't be dissappointed, but take the time
to enjoy the, looks, construction and feel of these before
you fire it up. [Image: icon_biggrin.gif]
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
very good and very infomative LZ

great review, lz. i agree big time with the chocolate/cinammon thing, a very unique profile, and one of the reasons it's in my top 3 cubanos list. well, i don't actually have a list, but if i did...
i think these torps have more character than the monte #2's, but that's never having had a well aged monte #2. maybe they're just very different and i should stow it until i try aged versions of both sticks. my guess is that the cinammon or any spice character tends to increase with age, so i'm stoked to let some boxes sit, happy in my ugly coolerdors.
Wow. I'm sold, nice review.   Now it's a toss up between these and Monti's for my next box. hmmm

I'll have lots of time to think about it since i'm broke.
just smoked a diplo #2. forgot how full-flavored these guys are. still a bit young, but awesome, leathery, earthy, dark chocolate smoke. these are gonna age beautifully.
Had one of these gifted to me once.

Very nice indeed.
Great review.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

> > Cigar Rights - Help Exempt Premium Cigars From FDA Regulation!

Great review Bob...my absolute favorite Cuban brand. Than ks for turning me onto them Smile
Tfire136 Wrote:Great review Bob...my absolute favorite Cuban brand. Than ks for turning me onto them Smile
Glad to hook you up........now where's that darkside smiley?
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Great review LZ!!!! Tongue
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Nice review,Bob

The cinnamon taste... thats the taste that I notice but couldnt really describe it
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]