Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montecristo Espeicale No 1 1990
Montecristo 1990 Especiales 1

Laguito No. 1 vitola that includes the Cohiba Lancero

7 ½” x 39

I received this cigar in a trade with a very generous BOTL and I felt the need while I enjoyed this cigar to jot down a few words about it.  Something I typically do not do unless it’s typing here while smoking.  I didn’t want to be distracted by other topics while I smoked this one so I chose not to surf while smoking it.

The Especial No.1 presented a medium brown Colorado wrapper. I am normally not a big fan of panatela or gran panatela-ish cigars and after this amazing cigar, I’m wondering why.  Construction was absolutely flawless with a nice firm feel and surprising weight and heft to it.  Again, I think my surprise is rooted in a mental block I have around a panatela and again, I’m wondering why.

The triple cap of this Laguito No.1 had a pigtail that was kinda cool to clip with my Xicar.  The pre-light aroma was faint but earthy and a little nutty.  The pre-light draw was perfect and offered the palate the same flavors the aroma alluded to above but again very muted.

Used a box of Habano Montecristo matches to light this thing that the same BOTL offered in a “learning trade” nearly a year ago and it took the flame like it had been waiting for it the entire 16 years of it’s life.  The Especial No.1 started from the very first draw with flavors of nuts and cedar under the leathery tobacco taste.  Not a ton of smoke early on but full of amazing (and of course, surprising) flavor.  The first third of this treat was a melding of the flavors above and I enjoyed it immensely.  The 2nd third added a bit of spice on the tongue with hints of leather that developed into a creamy nutty layer on my palate somewhere near the back of my tongue.  I find it easier to pull some of the flavors by trying to determine which taste buds are working to identify what I am tasting.  The final third introduced a pronounced spicy twang that I am now thinking was really there all the time but under the surface.  It had now decided to announce that this was a Habano and that I should have a seat for the rest of the experience.  Almost sublime is the only way I can describe this third since the early flavors were still present but were only enhanced by the headiness I was getting from this cigar.  Bzzzzzzzzzzz.

The Especial No.1 burned straight as an arrow, never needing a touch-up. The ash was darker than expected and only held firm for ½ - inch segments before falling into the ashtray.  I'm not a huge Ash-man despite the thread LZ posted on cigar ash.

This was truly an amazing smoke and I am grateful for the opportunity to smoke this cigar.  A humble thanks to LZ.  I think Bungallowbill mentioned that he had been acquiring Habanos on a bit of a lark hoping that they would become all he had hoped.  I am in a similar spot as I have only started buying them in the last year or so.  I am now extremely happy with my decision since if even 1/3 of my stash becomes ½ of what this cigar was I will be a happy man.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Headley that was an absolutely fabulous review.
Headley you get an A+ for that review. You captured everything about a 16 year old Montecristo that could be said. They are indeed a very rare treat and a demonstration of what proper aging of the line and vitola are all about. Glad you liked it!
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
lz6 Wrote:Headley you get an A+ for that review. You captured everything about a 16 year old Montecristo that could be said. They are indeed a very rare treat and a demonstration of what proper aging of the line and vitola are all about. Glad you liked it!

Thanks LZ!  I was afraid I would not be able to capture it all since my palate is not tuned in to alot of what I hear about.  This cigar however was pretty easy to draw out the review.

Thanks my friend!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Great review Jim!! Sounds like a great smoke.
Excellent review Headley. Glad you were able to savor such a unique and wonderful experience.

The Cuban slope is one that I have not slide down yet. God forbid.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Dr. Stogie Fresh Wrote:Excellent review Headley. Glad you were able to savor such a unique and wonderful experience.

The Cuban slope is one that I have not slide down yet. God forbid.

Doc

Note to self:  Doc has not had a Habano.

I can't believe that Doc!  Somehow I think that will be rectified.
great review, señor headley! i have been the humble beneficiary of the same stick from said botl, and i'm even more psyched now to try this vintage bliss. the '01 monte i had was enough to convince me to sell the truck and various internal organs to finance further cubano purchases. i can't even fathom what a cigar more than twice that age will be like. if i didn't get so weak in the knees every time i look at it, i might have smoked it by now. but i know when the time is proper, it shall be executed in style (on porch, with faithful mutt by my side). hail to the don of stogie education and goodwill, lz!
Stellar review Jim and LZ another great job treating a fine BOTL to a wonderfully aged Habano.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Wow Jim, great review.  My mouth is watering.  Tongue
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.