Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aberlour A'bunadh
Mmmmmm.  What a Scotch!  I picked up a bottle of Aberlour's A'bunadh this week and couldn't resist having a taste last night.  It's an imitation of the kind of whisky the founder might have created in 1879.  It is a cask-strength whisky, which means it is in the 59.6% alcohol range.  Since 1997 the strength has ranged from 59.6% to 60.2%.  The A'bunadh doesn't come with an age statement.  It is a single-malt, cask strength whisky.  The master blender may use casks as young as 6 years in it, but typically is only using 8 to 15 year old casks.

But don't let any of the details distract you.  The Aberlour A'bunadh stands out as an exceptionally rich and luxurious whisky.  The first thing you'll notice is the dark red amber colour.  I have to say that the color is a good indicator of the taste.  It is creamy, smooth and pronounced.  It has a caramel flavor to it that just sits on the back of your tongue, with some mintiness, almond, and a very light smokiness.  Overall, I'd say that the A'bundah is to most scotch what barley-wine is to beer.

I imagine that this whisky will get at least second purchase from me, as I intend on introducing it to every Scotch drinking friend who visits my house.

bartok Wrote:*snip*

Nice review, thank you.

Added to my....never mind,was already on my list!Big Grin
Looking foward to this,it has some of my favorite flavors in your profile of this whickey.
A good review.
BTW, as recommended by Aberlour, a little splash of water helps to open this whisky up quite a bit, and reveals quite a bit more complexity.  This is true of most Scotches.  Athough, I do admit that it seems a little odd to dilute a cask-strength whisky at all.  I like to take my first couple of sips neat, and then put a little water in at the end.
Noted!

I like to add two ice cubes,sip slowly and savor,as the ice melts,I get my water and each sip gets better and better.Big Grin
Great whisky, always on hand in my bar.  I usually drink it neat, or with a few drops of water to open up the nose.

CP... ice cubes? [wow]
I drink all my Scotches on the rocks with a splash of club soda.

You can throw rocks at me all ya want, but I like 'em like that.

NANPâ„¢
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
This has become one of my favorites.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Nothing wrong with a rock of ice in a malt, thats how I take it more often than not, it is a more gradual dilution as opposed to pouring water in, and being the tight/canny Scotsman that I am, it leaves less of the water of life stuck to the side of the glass if there is a rock in there.

Great review of the Aberlour by the way.

Tongue
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I have recently discovered this Scotch and I love it.
Almirante Pirata