Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tatuaje: La Maravilla
[Image: tatuaje_la_maravilla.jpg]
STORAGE CONDITIONS: These cigars are "Wet Packed" which means after rolling they are sorted by color and aged for 1-2 weeks then packed into foil bundles of 25 for the rest of the fermentation process, which gives this cigar a unique Tatuaje flavor, but also slows the fermentation process and it prevents oxygen circulation. This is a good thing for those who want to lay these beauties down for a long restful aging. However, if they are to be smoked in the short term, they will need some air to rid themselves of the “sick period” ammonia. So I remove them from their constraint and replace them back into their original wood cabinet for further aging in my coolerdor.

TASTING NOTES: The Maravilla, which means "miracle" or "wonder" in Spanish, is a Punch Punch-sized cigar. The wrapper is a Veso with a red-brown color. It’s oily, and inviting, with the wrapper covering the foot of the cigar, similar to Tatuaje's "Gran Cojonu".

The cigar does not come with a band, which in no way affects its smoking characteristics but, for a collector like myself who likes to catalog all his cigars using their bands and photos of the cigar, it is a minor disappointment. The cigar is a bit soft to the touch yet very supple as it has a consistent “spring” to the body. This would later translate into a perfect draw, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

I cut just the top cap of the triple cap head with my Xikar Rosewood cutter. I have not smoked enough cigars that have a folded over foot so I light it like I do the rest of my smokes... very carefully. As it turns out, the folded foot allows me to get a perfect circular burn around the circumference of the cigar, which then lights cleanly as I put it to draw.

The flavors are immediately sweet and spicy and there is a huge volume of rich smoke emitted from the burning foot. The draw is smooth and easy and the medium gray ash is loose enough that I don’t flirt with a potential “lap dance” and tap off early at about a half-inch.

The second half of the smoke is smooth with no bitterness, which seems odd for a cigar of such youth. Because of the loose draw the cigar tends to burn a bit fast and I have to slow myself down. The complex intense flavors dance across my palate in waves and then resolve gracefully. I enjoy this cigar until it begins to burn my lips and fingers.

This is a medium bodied cigar with full and complex flavors. It is very well balanced, which makes it a joy to smoke and an all around great experience.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Fantastic review!  I have only hada two Tatuajes, and neither one of them impressed me.  But I keep hearing great things about them.  I am going to have to give them another shot.
Another nice review Doc.

I havn't tried these yet, but I will. I keep hearing good things about them too.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I am resisting a box purchase.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Thanks to the kind Doctor, I enjoyed this cigar this evening along with some Cavados after dinner. A very well rolled cigar, oily, with a dark wrapper, triple cappa. Cut with a v cutter and we were off. Perfect draw, tons of smoke, and a flavor I have not had before and can't indentify, tobacco and woodsy with light pepper was it for me while reminding of Cuban tobacco. Enjoyed this cigar very much, had a long nice mellow finish which continues as I write this. 

Thanks Doc!   [smokin2]
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Thanks for the mini review Lz6,I think most tatuaje's are like that,unable to pinpoint the taste,similar to cubanos but not totally but,yet,totally unique and way different from any non cuban.
I relate these as the closest to cuban flavor you can get in a non cuban......tatuaje's that is. Smile
Glad you liked it. Calvados huh? Now, that's something else I'll have to try. As usual, I sit at the feet of the master and learn.

I am finding that I am becoming a "Pepin whore." They are the most "Cuban" of cigars I've tasted this side of the Island.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com