Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day - 2006
For several years here on stogiechat I have put something up for Memorial Day, out of respect for lost friends and fellow soldiers and the many fine men and women who have given their lives in the defense of our wonderful, still free, Country. Take a moment to remember them over this holiday.

I am, by my own standards, indebted to my brothers who gave their lives, their blood and their minds in a terrible place.

This years story, is close to home for me, as Lt. Gallo's brother is a very dear personal friend of mine. I spent several years gathering all existing written information from the national archives about the incidents leading to his death, and did personal interviews with the sole survivor of his track that day.

[Image: pjgallo-gravesite-section46-062703.jpg]

This is a joint grave at Arlington National Cemetery where the remains of 3 members of the 3rd Squadron, 5th United States Cavalry, Blackknights (C Troop) are interred.  Lt. Peter Joseph Gallo, Staff Sergeant Dennis M. Poteat, and USMC Captain Roy Griffin (F/O assigned to the 3rd/5th). These fine young men died together on March 30, 1968 on the DMZ while conducting Operation Kilo.  Lt. Gallo was the platoon leader of C Troop and he and his armored personnel carriers (tracks) were engaged by a North Vietnamese Infantry Battalion. The fight started around noon and was over by about five in the afternoon.  The Cavalry troopers, surrounded by the enemy battalion, killed 185 NVA soldiers before it was over. At around three in the afternoon Lt. Gallo's track was hit by two rockets, one through the rear door and one through the side (gas tank). The track driver was blown clear through the drivers hatch and is the sole survivor. Lt. Gallo rose through the command hatch, on fire, .45 in hand, firing at the enemy, he was quickly shot 4 or 5 times and fell back into the burning personnel carrier.

May God rest their souls and the many who have gone before. Take a moment on Memorial Day from whatever you are doing and observe a minute of silence.

[usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa]
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Amen[usa]
Great Post!

I have always gone on runs for memorial day,veterens day and many events held by the many vietnam vets bike clubs.I hold a great respect for any servicemen,even if they had not served a war.I thank them all.

Never forget!
Thanks LZ!  Many men and women have paid the ultimate sacrifice so we can live free.  I thank them and those still serving today.

LEST WE FORGET!
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
I have no words but worlds of respect.  May God bless their souls and the country, beliefs and standards they stood for.
Well done LZ,and thank you for your service.Cool
Thanks LZ, and to you and all here who have served, welcome home.
Thank you BOb for your service to this great nation of ours,as a fellow Veteran i feel your sentiments wholeheartedly.To all Veterans and Soldiers still on active duty,You have my deepest Thanks and appreciation for your sacrifices.God bless and God speed.HOOAH!
[Image: arlington.gif]  

The bloodied sun sinks in the west
And lights us all with glory;
Here sleep the brave in honored rest;
The bugler tells our story;
O dulce et decorum est pro patria mori;
O dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Go tell the people, passer-by,
Read the stone before ye,
Tis sweet and fitting that we die
For our country's glory;
Obedient to your will we lie
Pro patria mori;
O dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

From under stone we've often seen
These lures to empty glory;
We know what deaths these words can mean,
Lonely, cold and gory;
We find these Latin words obscene,
Pro patria mori,
O dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori.

We have no country of our own,
We who sleep in glory;
We died your hatreds to atone,
Still you shun our story;
Oh write no more on any stone,
Pro patria mori;
O dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori.
[usa]

http://compuball.com/av/mansionsofthelord.htm

[usa]
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"