Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H. Upmann Magnum 46
H. Upmann Magnum 46[/b]
Cuba
Corona gorda
5 5/8 x 46
April 2005

I picked up a cabinet of 25 of these over a month ago, and I really can’t believe I had the will power to lay off of them up until recently.  The cigars come packaged in a plain wooden box, and what’s strange to me that they now come with cigar bands, when for years they always were naked.

The cigar I selected to smoke has a light-medium brown, smooth wrapper and appears to be well constructed.  I also notice a slight dusting of plume on the surface of the cigar.  I clipped the cigar and lit it rather easily.  Other than the smoking quality of the review, the rest of the review is based upon a compilation of the first 5 cigars I smoked from this particular box, which have been very consistant.

The cigar starts off with a pleasant, light-medium bodied flavor that has a wood flavor to it with a very minor spiciness to it.  To someone trying out this cigar for the first time, and it starts off too light, I would say give it a chance, otherwise you’d miss out on the best part.

About a third into the cigar, the flavors begin to change.  The flavor begins to intensify to a medium-full bodied cigar and the cigar begins to develop another dimension to the flavor profile. This is also when that famous “Cuban twang” really starts to come out.  I can’t really describe the new flavor dynamic, but all I know is that it turns a good cigar into an even better cigar.  As I continue to smoke it down, it has become now a full bodied, full strength cigar.  Rich woody flavors now takeover, but not overpowering and the cigar still remains as smooth as it was in the beginning. 

The cigar burned and drew perfectly from start to finish.  The burn was even throughout with a nice and firm gray ash.

This cigar was a fine example of a complex cigar with 3 distinct flavor profiles.  There are many good cigars out there, but only the great ones evolve during the course of smoking, and this was one of those great cigars.  Even though this cigar was relatively young, several more years in the humidor could make this one sublime.  
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
Great review Mike!!! I agree with you completley....they taste good now but give them some time and look out Smile
Another great review Mike.  I haven't reached for any for months from a cabinet I bought a year ago.  Looks like I need to reach out for one now. 
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
agree with your review, nice job, mikey. a little too much woodiness for my taste, but with age the earth hopefully should emerge a bit more. might just have to try another one soon, been a while.
This is a cigar I need to revisit, as I have only had one.  Maybe it's time to buy a box. Cool
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:This is a cigar I need to revisit, as I have only had one.  Maybe it's time to buy a box. Cool

Or you could buy a fiver or maybe a few singles like the rest of us normal people do when we wish to try something.Tongue

Nice review Mike.
Nice review Mike.. Ive only had 1, but absoluetly loved it!  Can't wait to get more.
Scott  
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

nice review Mike.  I was given one by Headley and it was great.  Thanks again headley.
Bungalowbill Wrote:agree with your review, nice job, mikey. a little too much woodiness for my taste, but with age the earth hopefully should emerge a bit more. might just have to try another one soon, been a while.
The Upmann line of cigars is chacterized, as a whole, with a woody taste, which usually isn't my thing.  I know many people like the Upmann No 2, but I really cant stand this cigar at all, but somehow the blend of this cigar in this size format really does it for me.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
The magnum 46 is great with some age on it, I just had one today and need to remember that these sticks are as good as they are, they can be overlooked when visiting the humi for something more exciting, but I'm glad I put one in the caddy this hitch.

A nice peaty malt really helps this stick as well, they comp each other just right.
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why