Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any networking experts around?
hey fellas-

i'm looking for a network expert. my little boy has a birthday coming up in a couple weeks. he will be 7, and it's his dream to have his own xbox 360. so i got him the hookup, and got him a new xbox 360. now i'm trying to get him the entire solution, and get it hooked up to xbox live. his bedroom is at the other end of the house from where my router and stuff is set up. i could go out and buy him one of the wireless networking adapters, but they're kinda pricey (100 bucks!) and i'd prefer to do it on the cheap. my question is this, i have 2 identical netgear routers. i buy them at the shack when they go on the dirt cheap, just in case one burns out or something. can one of those be configured to be used as an access point instead of actually sending out a wireless signal? meaning, can one receive the signal in the bedroom and wire into the 360 for it to connect to the internet to play games on live, or system link against me. or can this not be done? by doing a little searching on google, it would appear it may be possible. however, i can't figure out what i'm reading. i might as well be looking at something in french when i look at most of these sites. does anyone know if this can be done? is it something i can do? or should i just break down and buy the wireless adapter? any help is appreciated guys.
I went to college for 5 years to get my 4 year degree in networking so maybe I can help. As long as one of your routers has the ability to act as a bridge you should be able to make it work. Check the documentation and see if it mentions the ability to change some settings and turn your netgear into a bridge. Or post the model number and I can google it for the manual.
Scott....I have a Linksys router I have my computer hard wired to it & My son's laptop hooked up to it wireless. About 2 months ago I got an XBox360 & I just plugged it in to the router....no problems at all. I download a lot of demos for them to try out for free & I've played online a few times with Rob.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
dooley- the routers are wgr614. one's a version 6, the other a version 8, but i doubt that really matters. and tonto, i know they work just fine wired in. my 360 is wired straight to the router, and it works perfect. i'm just trying to avoid getting into the crawl space to run wire to his. i'd rather just buy the wireless adapter. but my number one preference would be to to figure out a way to make these routers i already have. but i don't think i have either you or rob on my xbox buddy list. pretty sure i need a couple gamertags to add to my buddy list Smile
i broke down and just bought him the wireless adapter. ugh. i'm still waiting on a gamertag tonto. add me- scott81425
Sorry man I thought I had flagged this to watch for updates on this but I'm still a SC newb.
Dooley Wrote:Sorry man I thought I had flagged this to watch for updates on this but I'm still a SC newb.

but a cool newb
US_Tank Wrote:
Dooley Wrote:Sorry man I thought I had flagged this to watch for updates on this but I'm still a SC newb.

but a cool newb
uh oh...
no worries man. this is probably easier anyway.
Ok, a couple of questions....

The router that is in use right now:  
Does it have wireless available?   Sounds like you have your PC hardwired into it and thats all. 

If so, and the other router also has wireless (being the same model), then you can setup the 2nd router as a bridge.    Basically it would communicate via wireless to your other router and obtain the IP address from it.  You would merely just then plug your XBOX into the 2nd router via a regular ethernet wire.

Now, if you don't have wireless on your 1st router.   I would hardwire directly to the XBOX.   For hosting games online I've found wired to be better.   I have the 80211-N wireless which is FAST, but I switched and left my PS3 on the wired connection because I can still host more players and its less prone to interference and drop outs.   Not to mention if you are running anything wireless then you will want to secure your wireless with WPA2 (not WEP).   That slowns things down even more but keeps people from snooping inside your computer/network.  A "secure" WEP connection key can be hacked now in about 5-30 minutes with a simple Pentium 4 computer. 

-ET