Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenhouse gasses
There has been much talk over the last 10 to 20 years about global warming... Including people in the North East US joking about looking forward to it during our recent excessive snow events.

Have you guys seen any of the GW specials that have proliferated The Learning Channel and The Discovery Channel?

Some of this stuff is downright scary. Some of the things I've noted.

Fact: Every warming even that has occurred on this planet has been accompanied by excessive CO2 in the atmosphere (this is known by analyzing thousands of years of gasses trapped in ice core samples)

Fact: The current CO2 levels in the atmosphere today are well over 20 times that of the greatest levels found in the last 10,000 years.

Fact: Every GW event has been accompanied with significant extinctions of various species.

Fact: The polar ice-caps are melting at an alarming rate

Fact: the melting of the polar ice caps reduced reflective surface area and significantly increases the warming trend

Fact: the Seas have gone up by an average of 2 degrees in the last 10 years

Fact: the warming seas are causing the death of all sorts of CO2 reducing life forms

Fact: Many significant CO2 reducing biomasses have been significantly reduced either directly by man (the Amazon rain forest) or by the warming event itself (the warming has caused a reduction of algae in the great barrier reef which in turn is causing miles and miles of the reef to die)

Fact: we are now producing CO2 at a rate more than double anything we have ever done before

Fact: It may already be too late. The best we may be able to do is delay the inevitable even if we stopped all fosil fuel consumption.

anyone worried about using up all coal and oil the planet has to offer, you need not worry. Long before we exhausted half of what's left, 90% of the life on theis planet will perish.

Quote:Fact: The current CO2 levels in the atmosphere today are well over 20 times that of the greatest levels found in the last 10,000 years.

And we knew what these levels were 10,000 years ago how?

sorry, but i dont' believe a lot of it. File it under junk science.
I thought you knew me Dan...

We know this because, as stated above, ice samples were taking form the polar caps. These samples go back thousands of years. The rate of ice growth is east to measure as are the years... Also there is gasses trapped in the ice representative of the atmosphere at that time....

Any other questions?

No, it isn't Junk Science. & it's that attitude that got us into this mess. Your grandkids will see the affects. We are seeing it now, but the affects I speak of is along the lines of significant species going extinct and tremendous food shortages as the world searches for new sources as the onld ones undergoes enormous climate changes.

Oh, yet another fact I missed above, India and China are FAST becomming industrial nations. For instance, China plans on building over 300 coal fired power plants in the next 7 years.

Tell me Dan, what part do you find to be Junk Science?
I watched something on the  discovery channel that said if the Ice Caps keep melting as fast as they have that the oceans will rise about 23 feet Confusedhock:.  I can't remember the name of the program though
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Also, its not so much the melting of the polar icecaps that poses the problems of receeding coast lines and flooding.  Its the thermal expansion of the oceans from increased global average temperatures.  Whatever ice and icebergs there are are already displacing the same amount of water they contain for the most part.  Land bassed glaciers asside. 

Also evident are periodic warming and cooling treads, as stated before have always been preceeded by high CO2 levels in the atmosphere.  Currently CO2 levels are the significantly higher then they have ever been, as recorded by icecore samples.

Yes this is pretty scarry.  Our Children and their children will probably face a much different world then we have now.  But the good news is that we can help to slow it and even reverse it by acting now.  Although it will take quite a while for things to return to "normal."
Has anyone heard of "Pole Shift Theory"?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I've done some core sample drilling in my past, and spent some time with the science bods as we VERY carefully removed the samples from the coring pipe. Interesting was not a good enough word to describe that couple of months, apart from the very relaxed atmosphere compared to drilling for oil, these guys pointed out changes in the samples that went back thousands of years and showed that where we were, at that moment in time working (200 miles into the Northsea from land) was at one point in the planets history, land itself.

These core samples are used to date significant impacts that various changes had in our planets life, meteor hits, Chernobal etc etc are all there to see if you know what you are looking for.

David Belemy (a science bod) has stated on numerous occasions that the planet goes through cycles of heat and cold, regardless of what we do. The problem is that we as a species are accelerating this natural process and as a result will see ice caps melt, sea's rise and a new ice age take place thousands of years before it should happen naturally.

The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Yes... One of the scientist said on the show I watched that we will be forcing a 2,000 year change in 50 to 200 years (& it has already begun). I didn't mention this because this isn't "fact" it was a scientist learned opinion and I tend to avoid opinions unless I quantify and/or qualify them.
it's junk science. There is no way of know what the earth was like 1000 years ago and wether or not this is part of it's norma cycle.  25 years ago they were trying to tell us we were reverting to an ice age,. They cant' accuratly forcast the weather inthe next 5 hours, they can barly tell us what happened inthe last 5 hours. Just liek everythign else, there is somboy wiht an agenda slanting the "facts"
Our govt spends too much time trying to guess all the scenario's outcomes.All the cause and effect senarios,its just impossible to do and will never be 100% correct so have some faith,do the best we can and stop focusing on what is in the earths control.Our analasysts are still just human beings no matter how advanced in intelligance.

Look what we did to our waterways over the years,we did make a difference and although still dirty in some parts,my waterways here in jersey are much much cleaner than back in the 70's and 80's.If we can make a difference with our waterways we can also make the differences we need with our air.
The fact that I can see a fish now 35ft below the surface on a cloudy day is great for NY/NJ!