Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heat and humidity
I was thinking maybe a few packs of that silica gel you find in new shoes?   Heck, any shoe store will give them to you free...    They are not good for you if you eat them, but there should not be any problem with them being somewhere in your humidor.  They absorb moisture pretty darn good.

As for the sealed ice cubes/blocks, I think they will get quite a bit of condensation on them which may cause more problems.  

With constant high temps like that, you may want to consider one of those mini-refrigerators, converted to a humidor.    I remember seeing them on the net somewhere.    I think it was a wine refrigerator (no freezer section) and thus frost free.   It was lined with spanish cedar, a fan to circulate air, and some shelves.    Added a humidification unit and set the temp to 65 degrees.   The one I saw had a clear glass door on the front where you could see your stogies and the digital hygrometer boasting the right levels for the cigars.   
admin Wrote:I was thinking maybe a few packs of that silica gel you find in new shoes?   Heck, any shoe store will give them to you free...    They are not good for you if you eat them, but there should not be any problem with them being somewhere in your humidor.  They absorb moisture pretty darn good.

As for the sealed ice cubes/blocks, I think they will get quite a bit of condensation on them which may cause more problems.  

With constant high temps like that, you may want to consider one of those mini-refrigerators, converted to a humidor.    I remember seeing them on the net somewhere.    I think it was a wine refrigerator (no freezer section) and thus frost free.   It was lined with spanish cedar, a fan to circulate air, and some shelves.    Added a humidification unit and set the temp to 65 degrees.   The one I saw had a clear glass door on the front where you could see your stogies and the digital hygrometer boasting the right levels for the cigars.   
I have one of these fridges.  I use it for wine, of courseWink but the conversion seems pretty easy...  I believe LZ has one if I remember correctly.  Perhaps you should pm him. I got my winefridge on ebay.  It was a scratch and dent.  I paid less than $150 shipped for a 28 bottle capacity (28in. H x 18in. W x 22in. D).  If you go this route I'd do the research first because I believe most wine fridges won't be warm enough for your application.  I think mine gets up to about 60 but I've never tried to measure it seriously.
[user=1]admin[/user] wrote:

I just had air conditioner problems for about a week. I used the ice packs in my cooler.  The beads handled the condensation very well.

I use 65% beads and the humidity never got above that.  It might be different over the long run but for the short term in worked realy well.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and advice.  I'll them a try. 

Don
I keep one of these in my gun safe to keep the humidity down.

[Image: 1542993m.jpg]

Dry Zone

"Absorbs moisture without electricity, and is rechargeable in an oven. It can be reactivated indefinitely. One 500-gram box protects up to 37 cubic feet of enclosed space, about the volume of a standard 30" wide safe."

try putting the humi somewhere low for the heat and definetly use the shoe beads....they work wonders
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin