Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar quotes
Shamelessly ripped off the net...

"Gentlemen, you may smoke."

King Edward VII of England -- after assuming the throne. His mother, Queen Victoria, had previously banned smoking in court.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Every cigar goes up in smoke."

...Brazilian proverb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There are two things a man never forgets--his first love and his first cigar."

John Bain

"I am sure there are many things better than a good cigar, but right now, I can't think of what they might be."

Richard Carleton

"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana cigar."

Evelyn Waugh

"A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman."

Bulwer-Lytton, E. G.

"After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."

Brad Shaw

"Where there's a good smoke there's a cigar smoker."

"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."

...Cuban sayings

"He who has money smokes cigars

But who has no money smokes paper."

...Spanish saying

A cigar has "...a fire at one end and a fool at the other."

Horace Greely

"If a woman knows a man's preferences, including his preference in cigars, and if a man knows what a woman likes, they will be suitably armed to face one another."

Colette

"What this country needs is a good five cent cigar."

Thomas Marshall, U.S. Vice President, 1919.

"Here, have a cigar. Light it up and be somebody."

...from the film Pete Kelly's Blues

"You kissed my trembling hand

and on my finger you slipped

An eighteen-carat cigar band."

...from the song "You'll be Reminded of Me", in the film Vivacious Lady

"At the club we had this girl: She smoked nothing but cigars.... Personally, I think she only did it to make herself look older."

Marilyn Monroe in the film The Seven Year Itch, offering a theory about why women weren't smoking cigars.

"The cigar is the perfect complement to an elegant lifestyle."

"The cigar numbs sorrow and fills the solitary hours with a million gracious images."

George Sand

"Do not ask me to describe the charms of reverie, or the contemplative ecstasy into which the smoke of our cigar plunges us."

Jules Sandeau

"Given the choice between a woman and a cigar, I will always choose the cigar."

Groucho Marx

"The cigar...is something that commands respect. It is made for all the senses, for all the pleasures, for the nose, the palate, the fingers, the eyes... A good cigar contains the promise of a totally pleasurable experience."

"To know how to smoke is to recover certain forgotten rhythms, to re-establish communication with the self."

"The best cigar in the world is the one you prefer to smoke on special occasions, enabling you to relax and enjoy that which gives you maximum pleasure."

"If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar, change your wife."

Zino Davidoff

"If you kiss a cigar, it will kiss you back. If you treat it like a dog, it will turn around and bite you."

George Brightman

"If the birth of a genius resembles that of an idiot, the end of a Havana Corona resembles that of a 5-cent cigar."

Sasha Guitry

"There was a young man of Herne Bay

who was making some fireworks one day:

but he dropped his cigar

in the gunpowder jar.

There was a young man of Herne Bay."

Ogden Nash

"To smoke is human; to smoke cigars is divine."

"Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma."

"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it--you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses."

Anonymous

"A good Cuban cigar closes the door to the vulgarities of the world."

Franz Liszt

"I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time."

"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."

"If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go."

"No one can tell me what is a good cigar--for me. I am the only judge... There are no standards--no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."

Mark Twain

"Cognac and cigars...it's like finding the perfect woman. When you've got her, why go chasing after another?"

Michael Nouri

"In the future all men will be able to smoke Havanas."

Her Doktor Schutte, a Marxist.

"The end of a good smoke is a little saddening. In some regard, it's a bit like losing a best friend who had time to sit and listen."

"Life is too short to smoke bad cigars."

ZenWarrior

"Lady Bracknell: Do you smoke?

Earnest: Well, yes, I must admit I smoke.

Lady Bracknell: I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind."

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

"These gentlemen gave us some seegars...these are leaves of tobacco rolled up in such a manner that they serve both for a pipe and for tobacco itself. These the ladies, as well as gentlemen, are very fond of smoking."

John Cockburn, English traveler in Costa Rica, 1735.

"There's peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in a Henry Clay,

And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."

"Darling, you must choose between me and your cigars."

"Light me another Cuban."

Rudyard Kipling

"A woman is just a script, but a cigar is a motion picture."

Samuel Fuller

"Lastly (and this is, perhaps the golden rule), no woman should marry a man who does not smoke."

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque

"The enjoyment of a cigar after a hard week gives me a feeling of well-being and relaxation that a Valium could not match. While there may be a more ideal form of stress reduction, I haven't yet discovered anything else as effective and easy."

Lou Gehrig

"Now here's Bud Scott

And his old guitar,

Always smoking his big cigar."

Louis Armstrong introducing a fellow jazz musician.

The Scent of a Good Cigar

What is it comes through the deepening dusk,-

Something sweeter than jasmine scent,

Sweeter than rose and violet blent,

More potent in power than orange or musk?

The scent of a good cigar.

I am all alone in my quiet room,

And all the windows are open wide and free

To let in the south wind's kiss for me,

While I rock in the softly gathering gloom,

And that subtle fragrance steals.

Just as a loving, tender hand

Will sometimes steal in yours,

It softly comes through the open doors,

And memory wakes at its command,-

The scent of that good cigar.

And what does it say? Ah, that's for me

And my heart alone to know;

But that heart thrills with a sudden glow,

Tears fill my eyes till I cannot see,-

From the scent of that good cigar.

Kate A. Carrington

Sublime tobacco!

Divine in hookas, glorious in a pipe,

When tipp'd with amber, mellow, rich, and ripe;

Like other charmers, wooding the caress

More dazzlingly when daring in full dress.

Yet thy true lovers more admire, by far,

Thy naked beauties--give me a cigar!

...from The Island, Canto II, by Lord Byron

"I vow and believe that the cigar has been one of the greatest creature comforts of my life -- a kind companion, a gentle stimulant, an amiable anodyne, a cementer of friendship."

"Women are really jealous of cigars...they regard them as a strong rival."

William Thackeray

Weed of the savage,

weed of each pole,

Comforting,

soothing philosophy's soul,

Come in the snuff-box, come in cigar,

In Strasburgh and Kings',

come from afar,--

Still thou art welcome, the purest, the best,

Joy of earth's millions, forever caressed!

...from Invocation to Tobacco, by Henry James Mellen.

"I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar, cigarette, and pipe tobacco, with coloured plates illustrating the difference in ash. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials, and which is sometimes of extreme importance as a clue. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato."

Sherlock Holmes, discussing his monograph on tobacco ash, from The Sign of Four.

"The two Christians met on the way many people who were going to their towns, women and men, with a firebrand in the hand, and certain weeds whose smoke they inhale which are dry weeds stuffed into a certain dry leaf in the form of a muset made of paper, like the ones the children make the day of the Holy Ghost; and burning a part of it, from the other part they suck or absorb or admit the smoke with breating."

...from the log of Christopher Columbus

To My Cigar

Yes, social friend, I love thee well,

In learned doctors' spite;

Thy clouds all other clouds dispel,

And lap me in delight.

Charles Sprague (1791-1875)

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

"Smoking is indispensable if one has nothing to kiss."

"My boy! Smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life, and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."

Sigmund Freud

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing."

Joan Collins

"I promised myself that if ever I had some money that I would savor a cigar each day after lunch and dinner. This is the only resolution of my youth that I have kept, and the only realized ambition which has not brought disillusion."

Somerset Maugham in Summing Up.

"If I paid ten dollars for a cigar, first I'd make love to it, then I'd smoke it."

George Burns

"I do not seek for fame

A general with a scar;

A private let me be,

So I have my cigar...

Some sigh for this or that,

My wishes don't go far;

The world may wag at will,

So I have my cigar."

Thomas Hood

"By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls."

John Galsworthy

Outstanding quotes Skipper, I have a few favorites on that list that I need to print out and hang them in my office Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
this is great skip.....can I take one of the quotes. I like this one:

There are two things a man never forgets--his first love and his first cigar."

John Bain

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
take 'em all.. i stole them, lol....
great stuff
quite the quotes, Skip!
Tongue
JoeBob Wrote:great stuff
quite the quotes, Skip!
Tongue
Aww crap... A typo... (who's idea was it to put the damn i & o so close anyway...)
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
JoeBob Wrote:great stuff
quite the quotes, Skip!
Tongue
Aww crap... A typo... (who's idea was it to put the damn i & o so close anyway...)
Rob's Wink
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
typo fixed
Thank yiu ih hily celt!

(damn that o/i thong!) Tongue
lil[lol]