Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Time
Haven't been around much this week, some of my family came in town to help us celebrate Halloween. It's become kind of a tradition around the house. We start setting up props the second weekend of Oct., this year, we had 24. I've already started working on new ones for next year.

This year was a total success, 327 kids came by the house on Tuesday nite. That breaks the record of 282 from last year. And it was the first time my dad ever participated in a Halloween, 69 years old and has never given out one piece of candy. He loved it. When he saw how excited the kids were he just caught the bug.

The other big thing is, I smoked my first cigar with my dad that night. He was standing at the door of my humidor and when I walked in he looked at me and said:"you know, I haven't smoked a cigar in over forty years, I think I'd like to try one of yours". I almost fell over. I never knew he smoked at all - ever. We walked into the humi and he started asking questions and finally let me pick one out for him. I Took an AVO 80th out of a box and we went into my shop and I had the best smoke of my life. I tried one of the new Padillia's 60rng gauge, it was great, but I wasn't really concentrating on it, just the conversation with my dad. At some point about halfway through his cigar, he said that he would like to maybe start smoking cigars more, but he wouldn't spend the money on the good ones (depression era - still can't believe the prices of stuff today) so I took one of my Otter Boxes and a desktop humi & loaded him up some good sticks and the rest of the AVO's, without him knowing it. He got home this evening and upacked the car where he found my box. My Mom says it is now displayed in the middle of the coffed table and he was outside smoking a cigar and watching the deer.

I have to admit, I have met several guys on this and a couple other boards and made some really good friends at the B&M's that I frequent, but Tuesday night and Wednesday have to be the best days I've had with cigars since the day I started. And the best time I have ever had with my dad.

Gusy all I can say is, if you get the opportunity to spend time with your folks, do it now, don't wait. I will be going to WV in a couple of weeks for the holidays, and I can't wait to have another cigar or 5 with Pap.
That experience brought a tear to my eye.  You are so fortunate to have that moment with your dad. Lost my dad last year and only have memories now.  Herf with him all you can.
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
WOW DD!  What a GREAT story!

I got to smoke a PSD4 with my dad on his 60th B-Day last year but it was nothing like that.  Maybe his 70th will be more like this.  You're a lucky man to have that experience with more to come.

By the way, you're talking about "walking into" your humidor?  I...I...I don't remember it being completed yet.  Only that it was in progress.  Make with the pics!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Well dond DD, way to bomb the old man!!!!!!  Sounds like you had a special time and you will have great memories of the that day.Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Thanks Jim, I felt extremely blessed all week. The humi is running, but not finished. I have most of my lumber sitting inside getting acclimated and moved the coolers inside with the lids up, it is nice not having to tend them. As much. I'm still hoping for it to be complete by Christmas.
Man, thats a great story DD, and a great life experiance. I'll bet your Father had a tear in his eye when he saw the humi and otterbox ..... bombing your Dad, now that has to be a new craze. Nice one.

As for the walk in humi ....... I hate you, finished or not, I hate you. Tongue

Now get the pics up pronto pronto ....... Wink
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
wonderful story

thanks for sharing
that's where it's at.  excellent story Bob, and hope the holiday season brings many more wonderful cigar filled memories for you and your dad.

And Headley, I had the same reaction as you as DD was starting to tell me this story over the phone.  I'm still hopin he slows down production enough that I'll get to help out a bit on the creation. 

smoking w/ family is a true thing of beauty.
beautiful story bob.  the father / son relationship is just sacred and anything that brings them together be it baseball or cigars is just icing on the cake.

thanks for sharing.