Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are some sticks wrapped in cedar and others aren't?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Roukill Wrote:So - Cedar "dust" is toxic as particulate matter, but burning Cedar flame is not?

I thought the main function for the cedar was to buffer the humidity, act as a resevior for moisture. (like the humidors).

Any wood can do that. Heck, you don't even need wood. Plastic coolers work just fine without the wood.

The purpose of the cedar is first and foremost to resist mold and bugs (mostly mold).

Well some of my Anejo 46's got some mold from the cedar while my other cigars were just fine.
all i have to say about this is that i watched my bro-in-law fire up a cedar-cloaked stogie one night...it was f-ing hilarious!!!
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
US_Tank Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Roukill Wrote:So - Cedar "dust" is toxic as particulate matter, but burning Cedar flame is not?

I thought the main function for the cedar was to buffer the humidity, act as a resevior for moisture. (like the humidors).

Any wood can do that. Heck, you don't even need wood. Plastic coolers work just fine without the wood.

The purpose of the cedar is first and foremost to resist mold and bugs (mostly mold).

Well some of my Anejo 46's got some mold from the cedar while my other cigars were just fine.
The keyword there is "resist". Given proper conditions, Mold will grow. Cedar is not an end-all remedy.

I thought the main function for the cedar was to buffer the humidity, act as a resevior for moisture. (like the humidor)
There are different kinds of Cedar. Spanish Cedar is Toxic.  You can light you cigars with it, but, you can't cook with it.

If you have ever had a "cedar plank" smoked fish...it is NOT spanish cedar. 

IMHO, it is 90% looks and marketing.  Nothing keeps things as fresh as plastic in my experience.  Not sexy, but it works.  Anything you do to make it look cool help you stand out in a cigar shop full of competition.  As it is a natural by-product of making boxes, you put it to use if you can.

So light for favorite stogie with it, but don't cook your fish and scallops on it.