Poll: What should I do
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Fix the Metro
0%
0 0%
Buy the firebird
9.52%
2 9.52%
Keep looking
90.48%
19 90.48%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
here's my delema
i'm not much of a car guy, but i am young (25) and i know a little bit about first cars. i got rid of my first one fairly recently. mileage really doesn't mean a whole lot any more. my first car was an eagle talon with about 175,000 miles on it. i babied it. cost me almost 3 bones a month just for the insurance, but i drove it for nearly 3 years with minimal repair costs. just standard upkeep (belts, oil, etc....) when i was looking at it, everyone told me not to even consider it, too high in mileage. so, along came my son, and as he grew a bit, i needed a car with a backseat. so i traded in the talon, picked up a gmc jimmy with about 65000 miles on it, absolute headache. so i dumped it and picked up a dodge intrepid with closer to 120000 miles on it, and it has been a charm. personally, mileage means nothing to me. upkeep is what matters most. ask for service records. and always make sure it has good tires. just my .02
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Besides all this, he is my son.

That's pretty cool John.  And a setiment a lot more rare these days than everyone thinks.  Go safe and reliable.  Protect your true investment as far as that car is concerned.  Good luck. 
[user=9]Beerlord[/user] wrote:
Quote:Skip you never said how much you wanted to spend.

[user=35]Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo[/user] wrote:
Quote:...we decide on $3-4,000.

the firebird... it's def a 4 cyl (maybe it's not a firebird... hmmm...)... side mounted 4 cyl engine with front wheel drive... Was owned by a woman. No apparent body work. A few dings and minor scratches.

then there's the metro... 3 cylinder manual. with only 35,000 miles... we know the owner. we know this car was babied...
Ahh the Geo Metro, that was my first car.  And it was a convertible.  I could fill up for about $12 and drive for 2 weeks, sometimes even longer; that had to be well over 40 mpg.  Now, it costs at least $34 to fill up and I'm hitting about 19 mpg...ahh how times have changed.
you could try this site

http://www.autotrader.com/

My first car was a honda and I loved it, but after a year I became a traveling photographer with a company (which sucked balls) and had to get a bigger car with a larger trunk. My honda Prelude got great gas mileage, 4 cyl and you could put a ton of mileage with out any problems. Right now I am driving a 2000 toyota camery, not a bad car great mileage and it  payed off. that is the best part. I would just keep looking. If he doesn't need one right away, why not wait for the right one to come to you. Everyone is right though the firebird will have an insurance rate that will be out of the roof, even though it is a 4 banger. The reason is that they were one of the highest rated cars to be stolen, that and Camero's plus replacement parts are very costly.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:[user=9]Beerlord[/user] wrote:
Quote:Skip you never said how much you wanted to spend.

[user=35]Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo[/user] wrote:
Quote:...we decide on $3-4,000.

the firebird... it's def a 4 cyl (maybe it's not a firebird... hmmm...)... side mounted 4 cyl engine with front wheel drive... Was owned by a woman. No apparent body work. A few dings and minor scratches.

then there's the metro... 3 cylinder manual. with only 35,000 miles... we know the owner. we know this car was babied...
It's definaly not a firebird, maybe a sunbird or a grand am. there has never been a fwd firebird.
IM GETTING OLD!

OK, I just spoke with Justin... it's a pontiac SunFire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Sunfire

Does this change any opinions?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:IM GETTING OLD!

OK, I just spoke with Justin... it's a pontiac SunFire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Sunfire

Does this change any opinions?
in my opinion, i'd say if he likes it, you like it, go for it.
So... no one likes the Metro fix idea?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:So... no one likes the Metro fix idea?
No, not worth it Skipper.  Too many what if's.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.