Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all....new smoker here...
First off, I want to say this looks like a great forum. I have been browsing here for the past week and reading lots of posts trying to learn. I have been a cigarette smoker for years, but recently quit and would like to dabble a little in cigar smoking. From some of the posts I've read here, it sounds like a very enjoyable and relaxing experience. Of course, I have smoked the usual store bought stuff, and have had a few 'better' cigars years ago at a stogie bar (not sure what I had and surely didn't know what I was doing), but now I want to really try it out and enjoy the smokes. I was wondering what some of you would recommend for a newbie like myself to try first? I know nothing about the cigars that I read about from you all here and don't know where to start. What smokes should I try first, that I could get from a local cigar/smoke store? Thanks for the great site and any advice you can give. I'm going to continue reading and trying to learn. 

[cigar]
[welcome] to Stogie Chat! You're right about the info here. There is tons of it. If there is anything you can't find, don't be afraid to ask, that's what we're here for.

As for what to try, I would send Admin here a pm and ask him to put you something together. There are also several brothers here that have their own shops who could do the same thing for you, simply tell them what you want to spend and they can hook you up. Remember though, you will need a place to store them, so try not to get too many on your first trip.Wink

Get a notebook of some kind and take notes on what you smoked, wrapper, origin, mfg., which model, and what you liked/disliked about that particular cigar. You may also want to grab some clear tape and afix the label to the page.

Don't forget to post a review. And most of all, have fun. It's easy to get caught up in all the hype your going to see & read, but the  main thing to remember is you have to smoke what you like, not what anyone else tells you you're supposed to like.
First off, Welcome!

Yea, I agree with DD.

Keep track of what you try, and what you like/dislike about them...either in a notebook, or if you're a nerd like me there are several computer programs that will assist you.

That way, if you try, say a Honduran stick, and really like it, you'll know that next time you try one, you might go for a different Honduran cigar!

Or vice versa.

Of course, you can always ask "the experts" here too!

[welcome]
Some sticks you should find between $4-10 at most quality B&Ms:
  • Padron 1000 Series
  • La Gloria Cubana
  • Punch Grand Cru
  • CAO (Extreme, Criollo, Italia, Brazilia)
  • Arturo Fuente Hemingway Series
  • Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
  • AVO Maduro
  • Onyx Reserve
  • Partagas Black
  • Romeo y Julieta Reserve Real
  • Sancho Panza Double Maduro, Extra Fuerte
That oughta take you a couple of monts to get through.  I usually buy 3 of a cigar.  That way, if I like it I can have another without it being my last.  And if I don't, the others can sit around until I forget that I don't like it.
welcome to StogieChat...have fun...

I agree with the gentlemen here above....nice list Bartok....
start off with mild cigars. A usual crowd pleaser for people breaking in are the macanudos. But, having quite so recently you need to make a special effort not to inhale. This is a common problem for one-time cigarette smokers. If you are going to inhale cigars, you may as well go back to smoking cigarettes. You'll live longer.

On the other hand, if you can manage a cigar here and there without inhaling, then enjoy. There is no conclusive evidence at all that cigar smoking (without inhaling) causes any ill health affects.
Wow! Thanks for all the info and the kind words, guys. I will have to take that list with me when I go exploring the local shops and see what I can find. So you guys never inhale a cigar? I suppose that will take some getting used to. I did not know that. See, I have alot to learn!
[welcome]!  Yep ya just puff on em, its worth it anyway though!

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
hair2831 Wrote:Wow! Thanks for all the info and the kind words, guys. I will have to take that list with me when I go exploring the local shops and see what I can find. So you guys never inhale a cigar? I suppose that will take some getting used to. I did not know that. See, I have alot to learn!

NEVER!

The nicotine is absorbed through the tongue. It is far far less than you get form a cigarette (without all those additives put there to increase nicotine absorption). Most cigarette smokers do not find any sense of satisfaction when smoking a cigar and not inhaling. That's when they decide to inhale every 5 or 6 puffs. Then it goes to every puff.

I would only smoke a cigar is I could avoid inhaling every puff. No exceptions here.
[welcome] to stogiechat!  Hope cigars treat you well, I started about the same way, and have thouroughly enjoyed the change from cigarettes.

One thing I think may help you as well is looking into where your closest cigar shop is located.  Until you buy a humidor, might be a bit awkward keeping the smokes you get in good smoking condition, dry cigars just burn hot and taste like shit.  Having a local shop can give you a chance to buy one cigar, know that someone probably stored it in the right conditions; take in that experience and go from there. 

Enjoy!