Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone farmiliar with MS Frontpage (web design)?
I'm having some issues w/ the webpage I'm working on for one of my classes.  When I'm at school, the page comes up with all the stuff I put on it.  But when I went home after doing stuff to it, none of the background images are there and the fonts that I used aren't used, does this make any sense?

Yeah, it does make sense.
Frontpage is mostly junk....Tongue

I'll asusme that the reason the background images aren't coming up is because the path to them is different when you're at home, versus school.

If you don't know HTML, it's kinda hard to see maybe....

But if your BG is at:

c:\Users\LC\website\images

at school...but at home there's no folder of that name, it won't show up.

As for the fonts, that's easy. Font info isn't stored on the page itself, they're stored on the computer. I'd bet that at school you are using a font that doesn't exist on your home computer.
Yea, dump FrontPage and buy NetObjects Fusion

Like JoeBob said, the files are probably local to your classroom folders and via the web its not able to access.   Also, there are many different ways to publish the html.   Dynamic page setup, CSS, table layout, etc...   I believe that Frontpage uses all CSS which you have to make sure to also publish/FTP the css files to your server for the webpage.  The font layout is in the CSS file.

http://www.NetObjects.com

joebob is right. try fully spelling out your references. If you need to use frontpage, stick with it. Once you learn these simple tricks it's ok.

I never use any aids. I program all of my web page using only notepad, my fingers and my head. But, I'm old fashioned. (with an emphasis on OLD)...
2 people calling me right in the SAME thread???

It's a new record!

Tongue
JoeBob Wrote:2 people calling me right in the SAME thread???

It's a new record!

Tongue

Make it 3.  Tongue
Front page can be a pain.  :?
Thats about all I can ad.
Except maybe stick everything your working on in a single folder, then whatever files you use put in folders in that folder and then reference them from there.  Then stick it on a flash drive or something if your taking it back and forth.

I personally use Dreamweaver on a daily basis. But yes, JoeBob explained it exactly how I would. Try to keep the root folders the same on both systems and don't bury them in long directories and you should be fine. When I design, I keep everything in a root folder. No mater what system I use, the paths remain the same.

And here is a tip on font usage in HTML sites. Stick to the default system fonts when designing. Sure it may be pretty to use nice fonts, but other people will not be able to see that font if they do not have it installed on their system. Furthermore, it could throw off the entire layout of a website if a person does not have that particular font and it uses a default font. A plus with Flash is that you can embed fonts.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I run a professional web development firm here in NY for the past 10 years.

- Mario
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro.  You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
Maduro PiPs Wrote:And here is a tip on font usage in HTML sites. Stick to the default system fonts when designing. Sure it may be pretty to use nice fonts, but other people will not be able to see that font if they do not have it installed on their system. Furthermore, it could throw off the entire layout of a website if a person does not have that particular font and it uses a default font. A plus with Flash is that you can embed fonts.
Great point... If you need a list of standard fonts, we can put one together for you. I basically stick with 2 (one arial-like and the other timesroman-ilke). For anything else I simply make a GIF of my fonted word and use that.
Thanks for the input y'all.

I guess I should have started out by saying I know frontpage sucks, but that's what the school uses and I am stuck with it.  I would personally much rather be learning Dreamweaver, but for now, that's not the case.  This is still an unsolved mystery to me, with the only explination from my professor being that because I have dial-up, the connection is too slow to pick up the background; but if that were the case I wouldn't be able to pick up any sites with images or having any degree of information on them, so i am pretty sure he's wrong.

The font thing makes sense to me now, so that's clear; but from checking with other people, they can pull up the site as I have it saved, just not me :X. 

here's the site, and yes, I already know I'm a bunny-lovin-treehugger, so you don't have to remind me.

http://students.kennesaw.edu/~ggoodwi6/