Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
601 E O Brands by United Tobacco
Twas another beautiful day in the neighborhood yesterday so I set everything up on the patio and dove into this one head first.

Brand: 601 by E O Brands – United Tobacco

Frontmark/Vitola/Size: Robusto 5.5 x 50
[/b]

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Wrapper also available in Corojo[/b]
[/b]

Binder: Nicaraguan [/b]

Filler: Nicaraguan

Local/online price: Available in 4 sizes:

Churchill (7 x 52) –  $7.90/each or $137.95

Esplendido (7 x 49) –  $7.50/each or $126.95

Torpedo (6 x 52) –  $7.90/each or$141.95

Robusto (5-1/2 x 50) –  $6.50/each or$116.95

Widely available on line, found this product at all major vendors

Locally – Blue Havana II, Cigar Connoisseur, Cigar Merchant[/b]

[/b]

First impression: Being another of the Don Pepin Garcia blends, I had high hopes for this brand. Although the wrapper was a beautiful dark chocolate and very oily in appearance, the cigar was very light in the hand and soft/spongy (under filled?)
[/b]

Prelight draw: Loose and spicy with a little bitterness left on the lips

Light: Took a little longer than normal to light this one and get it going

Smoking the cigar: Initial inch was no where near as spicy as I thought it would be, nutty with cedar. Actually, the first half was all the same – medium strength, the nutty flavor was very up front. When I hit the second half, BAM! Cedar and spice explosion. Now that’s what I was expecting from this stick. Two puffs later, back to the nutty flavor with a subdued hint of spice, the cigar definitely picked up some strength, but nothing ever came of the spice or cocoa that I expected.

Ash: Nice white with flecks of black, very loose, had to ash about every ¾ of an inch, maybe a little less

[/b] 

Conclusion/Comments: This cigar is touted to be “for experienced smokers”, I didn’t see why. Although it did have some nice flavors, this cigar did not really hold my attention with the exception of the short burst at the halfway point. I found this sample one of the few of the Don Pepin Collection that I found a little boring. I’ll have to try a couple of more, but without the high hopes, maybe the next one will change my mind. We’ll see.

[/b]

My scale[/b] for rating is as follows:[/b]

Appearance: 1-10[/b]

Construction: 1-10[/b]

Burn: 1-10[/b]

Taste: 1-60[/b]

Value: 1-10[/b]

[/b]

For this cigar:

A- 7

C- 4 [/b]

B- 4[/b]

T- 48[/b]

V- 5[/b]

For a total of - 68[/b]
[/b]
[/b] 
Nice review DD.  I've tried to pick one of these up 3 or 4 times and keep deciding to pass on it over some other smokes.  Looks like that was a good idea.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
On the contrary Jim, I have a feeling this just was a bad example of the brand. When I picked it up, I never really looked at it. And it wasn't until I went to smoke it that I realized how light it was. I will definitely give it another try or three, got to be thorough you know.Wink
discdog Wrote:On the contrary Jim, I have a feeling this just was a bad example of the brand. When I picked it up, I never really looked at it. And it wasn't until I went to smoke it that I realized how light it was. I will definitely give it another try or three, got to be thorough you know.Wink

I hear you DD.  My concern is that with so many Pepin products out there that are SOOOOO good I'm not giving some smokes of his a second chance.

I'll wait on your next review to make a call.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.