Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Varnished mean
I saw these listed and was wounder what varnished meant. Are they referring to the box?

Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished...................$221.00
Yes, they are reffering to the box.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
The 898's come in varnished and unvarnished. The cigars inside are not the same! The varnished are significantly stronger!

Mason
Is the varnished box just to indicate the different smokes. Or is it used in some way to stop them from breathing by sealing the wood and effect the flavor.
Keith Wrote:Is the varnished box just to indicate the different smokes. Or is it used in some way to stop them from breathing by sealing the wood and effect the flavor.

The varnish is just uesd to differentiate the smokes.  Nothing more.

They are both called 8-9-8 due to their packaging, but, as stated before, different cigars.

The Varnished version (dalia, 6 4/3 x 43) is stronger, but more refined flavor and full of depth.  The Unvarnished version (corona grande 6 1/8 x42) is really considered a beginners cigar. It was discontinued in 2002, I beleive.  Not bad, but by no means in the same class as the other.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
fantastic smokes...
mtb4u Wrote:I thought the Dalias were slightly thicker, too.
Er...typo... I meant 43... its been corrected... thanks Wink
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
MikeD Wrote:
mtb4u Wrote:I thought the Dalias were slightly thicker, too.
Er...typo... I meant 43... its been corrected... thanks Wink
Haha...this is funny.  I just edited that post because I knew that's what you meant.  Sorry, bro.
y'know, that's a great question. i always wondered if there was any real difference in the cigars they put in varnished vs. cabinets.

the only example i've got is a cab of '05 hoyo dc's and a box of '06 hoyo dc's. the box sticks are stronger, but that could just be the harvest. both are great, with the same flavor profiles, but very different in strength.