Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia Tech Rampage
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:I don't know... I think it takes a fair degree of emotional imbalance for anyone to become desensitized to murder or mass murder. Besides, this sort of thing went on years before video games. That sniper in Texas who shot all those people form the tower (who claimed he did it because he hates Mondays-spawned that song "tell me why I don't like Monday's").. The only game out then was Pong & I doubt that he became desensitized to murder form that.

I think it's true that we walk away form movies and games with slight attitudinal changes, but "normal" do not cross the lines of morality we have embedded in us. The people who do, who are "abnormal" may get set off by Monday's if not the games or movies.

Skipper, are you referring to this guy?:

1966 at the University of Texas at Austin, where Charles Whitman, the ex-Marine recently back from Vietnam?

Nope, don't think Pong had a thing to do with this one. But as we all know, the Marines (hell, any of the Armed Services for that matter) are extremely adept at making "normal" young people into something else. But even they have some that can't leave it where it belongs. Do we blame the military?
I thought I had already posted this, but can't seem to locate it. Something to lighten the mood a little.

NWS! LANGUAGE

http://www.washingtonceasefire.com/content/view/47/45/
This entire situation brings so many emotions of grief, anger, compassion, and about a million others that it's hard to separate passion from the discussion.

For fear of taking this way off topic of the complete sorrow that this thread brings, I'd like to submit that we need to note this psycho was going to complete something tragic whether with a gun or some other means of murdering people.

I believe in gun control through taking the people that mean ill will with unregistered guns off the street.  We have criminals that commit a crime with a gun and are out on the street again in years or even months.  I'd like to ask, if you commit a crime (not self defense) with a gun and it takes place somewhere other than where you grab the gun is there a chance that you have NO intent to use the gun?  I'd say NO and you don't know right from wrong!  Therefore, if you do use the gun it's premeditated murder (you left with a gun knowing you had the intent to use it, premeditated) or at least an attempt to commit murder and if you don't use the gun it's at least conspiracy to commit murder.  The people that make these decisions should NEVER be allowed out on the streets again.  They don't know right from wrong and never will.  Even if there is a slight chance of rehabilitation I'm not willing to risk an innocent life on someone who made the decision to commit the crime in the first place.  They don't deserve to walk the same streets and share in the freedoms that law abiding, registered gun owning citizens do, ever!

pre·med·i·tate 
to meditate, consider, or plan beforehand: to premeditate a murder.

God bless the families and friends of the poor souls who lost their lives in this tragedy.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
discdog Wrote:Skipper, are you referring to this guy?:

1966 at the University of Texas at Austin, where Charles Whitman, the ex-Marine recently back from Vietnam?

Nope, don't think Pong had a thing to do with this one. But as we all know, the Marines (hell, any of the Armed Services for that matter) are extremely adept at making "normal" young people into something else. But even they have some that can't leave it where it belongs. Do we blame the military?
yeah, that's him... And yes, maybe his marine training had something to do with it... but he was pre-disposed. My claim is that he had to be. And if he wasn't an ex-marine, maybe a bad relationship would have pushed him over the edge and he would have killed her or her family... Tens of thousands of marines have come back from training and wars and don't shoot people in real life. Scores of countless people play games, most of them violent and don't kill. I know hundreds and hundreds of kids who played Grand Theft Auto when it first came out, and not one of them have stolen any cars...
I just heard on the news that he purchased the guns legally and filed off the serial numbers.   Each gun was purchased 30 days apart, as under VA law you cannot buy two guns at the same time, you must wait 30 days.    Once he got the 2nd gun, we went on his rampage.

Now, with that in mind, I don't think this was some "snap" in the kids head.  Like someone was messing with his girlfriend and he went wacko.   This was a planned event.  Two guns, 30 days apart, and waiting...    I wonder if he was behind the phoned in bomb scares too?

And yes, I play Grand Theft Auto, Silent Hill, and a bunch of other kill-kill games.  Been playing games since the first Atari system.   Violence is everywhere, TV, Radio, Games, school, etc...    I don't think that is the reason why people go wacko.  It may give them ideas on how to do things, but in the end the person is responsible for their actions.   It goes down to having good parents and knowing what is right and wrong.    If you dog has puppies and you take one and kick it around for a few years, it becomes a mean dog.   Why?  It was brought up wrong.   I think that many of the kids that have problem households are heavy video game users because they are in their own little shell to begin with.    A normal person can play a game and not have a personality change.
I think there are just events in our lives that so belie our visualizations of reality as to thoroughly reject any efforts to comprehend them. 

your hearts just have to go out to the family and students.  such a tragedy.
ET & Skipper, that was my point. Not everyone is going to go out and commit some heinous crime. But, we have no control over who is watching/playing/listening to whatever.

Sorry to "go off" like this, been locked in a work all day and only have access to CNN. They just piss me off.

Rob, you're right.
when I was a kid we played "soldier"... From the popular shows at the time named COMBAT & DESERT FOX. We even learned to speak some simple German words from the show... mostly we didn't have any toy guns.... so we'd hack a branch off a tree and make all sorts of stupid noises with our mouths making what we thought were good replica noises of grenades, bombs, guns and god knows what... and killed killed killed killed killed & Killed again. Good clean American fun!
discdog Wrote:Tom, I didn't mean YOU personally, but liberals in general. I was addressing your earlier post though. But you did substantiate my point in the bolded section. Responsibility is taught by parents, not government entities and personal responsibility lies with the individual.

I will and do agree wholeheartedly on one thing though. It's a damn shame this happened.
O I know you didnt need mean me, I just hate generalizations.

but  I know I substantiated your point to some effect, because that part of you comments was quite correct.

Wink

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
On a somewhat more international forum I'm on, the usual knee-jerk anti-American asswipes can't even wait till the bereaved bury their dead before jumping on the "it's all those evil guns" bandwagon. [curse]

So . . . can I just say HERE . . . instead of there, where it'll just start a useless flame war, that yesterday, 48 million gun owners didn't kill ANYBODY?

And that if guns cause murders, pencils cause misspelled words . . .

Sorry. Needed it off my chest. My thoughts are still with the parents, today. No one should ever have to bury a child.

NANPâ„¢
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1