Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Cigars
Hey guys. By now you know I'm new so I'll stop stating as such in future posts....

The question....

I have access to some nice cigars here, but the owner of the shop does not store them properly and many of them are on the dry side. That said... if I store them properly afterward... will they be ok? Can a cigar be "re-humidified" to it's proper glory or am I better off waiting until I find a proper supplier? (keep in mind I have few options at the moment). If I can fix 'em, what is the best process? 1000 thanks in advance... you guys are AWESOME!!

[smokin2]
Why dont you order from an internet vender? :?.....As long as the cigars you are talkin bout not completely dried out, you should be just fine talkin them hm and properly storin them to 'fix' them. If they are completely dried out, there is a good chance that the cigars will 'explode' when u put them in ur humidor. Just quit buyin cigars from a crappy vender and u wont have this problem anymore!Wink Call Eric, or Robbie...they will hook ya up very nicely, u wont be disapointed thats for sure[thumbsup]  Hope this helps buddy
too many risks buying crappily stored cigars if you ask me. i mean, too many things to go wrong, especially if folks are handling the cigars. most places actually store their cigars on the wet side, so when customers handle them they are more squishy, and as such more forgiving. at least that's my experience. not worth the risk. give robbie, et, or eric at the party source a call. they'll take care of you with sticks that have been taken care of.

but to answer your question, they can usually be saved. depending on how dry they are, baby steps might be required. maybe an increase in rh of 5% per week. meaning if you bring them home at 40%, store them at 45 for a week, then 50 for a week, etc...
Smokin Nic Wrote:Why dont you order from an internet vender? :?.....As long as the cigars you are talkin bout not completely dried out, you should be just fine talkin them hm and properly storin them to 'fix' them. If they are completely dried out, there is a good chance that the cigars will 'explode' when u put them in ur humidor. Just quit buyin cigars from a crappy vender and u wont have this problem anymore!Wink Call Eric, or Robbie...they will hook ya up very nicely, u wont be disapointed thats for sure[thumbsup]  Hope this helps buddy

I believe CAO is living in Japan so he does not have many options.
Once cigars dry out, the oils that gave them their "special" flavor are gone. Yeah, with a lot of patience and time, cigars that are dried out can be restored to a smokable condition, but they will never regain that flavor & taste.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Once cigars dry out, the oils that gave them their "special" flavor are gone. Yeah, with a lot of patience and time, cigars that are dried out can be restored to a smokable condition, but they will never regain that flavor & taste.
great point [thumbsup]  I revived an ISOM my son gave me years ago, it was out of a humi for probably two years and it has taken a year for it to seem ok, doesn't have the dry feel, has gained some weight and is spongy.  After reading what Tonto wrote now I am worried it will taste like a turd Sad
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Once cigars dry out, the oils that gave them their "special" flavor are gone. Yeah, with a lot of patience and time, cigars that are dried out can be restored to a smokable condition, but they will never regain that flavor & taste.
Thank you! Based upon what's been said I think I'll just wait until I can find a reliable suppler. Thank you everyone for your advice and help.

[cigar]