Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 Wins
Congrats to Tom Glavine  recording his 300th win. Next stop the World Series!!
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
congratulations to the pride of Billerica Massachusetts!

cant think of someone who would deserve it more!

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
This has been the year of baseball milestones. I think 300 wins is more prestegious milestone to reach of the major milestones (500 Hr's, 3000 hits).  But with ball parks becoming hitter friendly, hitters getting bigger and stronger and the use of specialty pitching, we may not see another 300 game winner any time soon.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
MikeD Wrote:This has been the year of baseball milestones. I think 300 wins is more prestegious milestone to reach of the major milestones (500 Hr's, 3000 hits).  But with ball parks becoming hitter friendly, hitters getting bigger and stronger and the use of specialty pitching, we may not see another 300 game winner any time soon.

excellent point mikey.  with randy "the personality" johnson's career in peril it is unlikely we'll see another 300 game winner in the age of specialization and pitch counts. 

it will be interesting to see how this plays out in future hall of fame votings if people like jack morris, bert blyleven, and tommy john will get stronger support in consideration of their win totals. 
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:[user=15]MikeD[/user] wrote:
Quote:This has been the year of baseball milestones. I think 300 wins is more prestegious milestone to reach of the major milestones (500 Hr's, 3000 hits).  But with ball parks becoming hitter friendly, hitters getting bigger and stronger and the use of specialty pitching, we may not see another 300 game winner any time soon.
Quote:excellent point mikey.  with randy "the personality" johnson's career in peril it is unlikely we'll see another 300 game winner in the age of specialization and pitch counts. 

it will be interesting to see how this plays out in future hall of fame votings if people like jack morris, bert blyleven, and tommy john will get stronger support in consideration of their win totals. 
Quote:
Quote:Couldn't agree more. But I must say, I'm happy to wake up every morning and my 300 wins is taking a nice dump, that's the icing on the cake for me.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:
MikeD Wrote:This has been the year of baseball milestones. I think 300 wins is more prestegious milestone to reach of the major milestones (500 Hr's, 3000 hits).  But with ball parks becoming hitter friendly, hitters getting bigger and stronger and the use of specialty pitching, we may not see another 300 game winner any time soon.

excellent point mikey.  with randy "the personality" johnson's career in peril it is unlikely we'll see another 300 game winner in the age of specialization and pitch counts. 

I find it highly doubtful Randy will be effective again as a pitcher to get the 16 wins for 300. randy dosent need to get 300.  He's pretty much a lock for the HOF with the over 4500 strikeouts in his career, #3 all time and #1 for a LHP. Mike Mussina is next with around 250, but I don't see him reaching that mark either.

the only way in the future, unless things change, for a pitcher to reach a historical milestone would be 3000 strikeouts,  but there are less guys in that club than 300 win club.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Rank
Player (age)
Wins
Throws

Roger Clemens (44)
R

Greg Maddux (41)
R

Tom Glavine* (41)
L

Randy Johnson* (43)
L

Mike Mussina (38)
R

David Wells* (44)
L

Jamie Moyer* (44)
L

Curt Schilling (40)
R

Kenny Rogers* (42)
L

Pedro Martinez (35)
R

John Smoltz (40)
R

Andy Pettitte* (35)
L

Tim Wakefield (40)
R

Aaron Sele (37)
R

Bartolo Colon (34)
R

Steve Trachsel (36)
R

Tim Hudson (31)
R

Tom Gordon (39)
R

Livan Hernandez (32)
R

Kevin Millwood (32)
R

Rank
Player (age)
Wins
Throws

Woody Williams (40)
R

Jon Lieber (37)
R

Jason Schmidt (34)
R

Matt Morris (32)
R

Freddy Garcia (32)
R

Jeff Suppan (32)
R

Chan Ho Park (34)
R

Russ Ortiz (33)

It's really very interesting to see these numbers and wonder if we have to view the jamie moyers and david wells of the world a little differently or are they simply products of their times.  out of the young guns if i was forced to place a bet i'd lean on santana and oswalt but doubt they'll exceed 200 wins each due to their slight frames.
Smoltz would have hit 300 easily in his career if he hadn't spent time in the pen as well as a starter. I have a ball signed by Maddux, Glavine, and Smotlz from when they were all on the Braves that should have a nice value to it once all 3 are inducted into the HOF.Smile
I think Smoltz is a lock for the HOF.  With his 200+ wins and 154 saves, he was responsible for his team earning over 350 wins in one capacity or another.

I dont see wells or Moyer as HOFers, solid pitchers in their prime but never really standout type of guys,  with the exception of Wells perfect game in 1998.

smoltz is a lock.  moyer and wells are middle run guys.  i think where you get into gray areas are the david cones of the world.  watch when roy oswalt and his ilk retire.  the numbers will be eerily similar.

problem is today we go maybe tommy john and bert blyleven do belong in the hall of fame.  trick is that they don't because they didn't dominate when they played but when viewed in light of today's players they appear better than they were.