Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice Needed - Possible new cigar store
Some tips:

Be prepared, manufacturers come in four types:

1. They will sell to you no matter what you want, no matter what quantity.
2. They will sell to you, but you must place a minimum order (ranges from low, like 8 boxes, to high, like 90 boxes).
3. They will sell to you, with a minimum order, but won't sell you their GOOD stuff, until you reach that "level" (which involves a combo of $ spent with them and years in the biz).
4. They will sell to you as long as you don't sell online.

It can be VERY frustrating to deal with this. Not to mention, most banks will not process credit card payments from a tobacco business (we were rejected by five banks before we found one that would). Apparently it's because stolen credit cards are often used to purchase tobacco (I assume that's mostly cigarettes, but, as usual, cigars are lumped in there).

Finally, if you go ahead, make you sure you have a plan B, that is to say, diversify what you offer so that if you get hit with a huge tax you won't go out of business, and diversify your smoking areas (indoor and outdoor space) so if a new law passes you won't be screwed. Oh, and look for a stand-alone if you can get it, because the worst problems come from complaints from your co-tenants.

Good luck! And, follow your dreams if you think you can make it.
Thanks for all the information, that will help out a lot.  Even though I've been on here for a few years, there are somedays where I'm amazed how friendly people can be.  It's not like that most places.
scott81425 Wrote:useful post terry, nice info there.
I agree.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Oh, there is more, Lots more. I just thought I would get him started. LOL

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Jimmie the Mum Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:useful post terry, nice info there.
I agree.
Ditto!!  Nice info!!!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
when applying for your CC authoriation, sell yourself as a lounge. Emphasize the lighters, humidors and other items. No need to mention the cigars.