Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few quick questions for a newbie
I've been reading around here for a while now, and I couldn't find the answers to a few questions I had - (discdog is helping me considerably, but I'd like to get a few other opinions...)
   After working at the cigar bar for about two weeks now, I have started a tiny collection. Seeing as how I haven't gotten paid yet I can't afford a little humidor yet. Is there something I can throw together that will work in the meantime? Again, I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere in this forum, but I've been looking for a while to no avail.
   Also, last night I recieved two cigars that were rolled before my eyes. Smoking them was ...interesting, to say the least - they tasted somewhat green, (though my palatte is somewhat green itself...) and I was wondering how long I should keep them? I've heard everything from two days to two months to about nine months. Of course, nothing can happen until I construct my makeshift, temporary home for them.
        Thanks in advance!
You can just use a small tupperware for now to store your cigars. Make sure you throw in some sort of humification device though. Either a gel jar or even a small shot glass of distilled water will hold you over.

Concerning the "freshies", either smoke them now...or wait 3 months. They will fall into a "sick" period since they were just rolled where the flavors will begin to marry a bit. But after that, they can stay as long as you like. They may peak after a year or 2, but will still be smokable if kept in proper conditions.
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro.  You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
As for a makeshift humidor, many people have used tupperware or a cooler with some humidty source.   Using some cedar as a buffer for excess humidity in there helps as well.  And you shold open it up almost everyday for fresh air, because the plastic wont breathe as wood does.

It's not uncommomn for new cigars to taste green. As to how long to let them sit is up to the individual smoker.   But for a minimum time, I would wait at least a week before trying it again to give it some time for the tobaccos to stabilize.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
     Tupperware or those glad storage containers work well for storage. As Mike pointed out air exchange is important. I would also use a new storage container to make sure there is no contamination to your stash of sticks. For humidification I like Humidity packs for that, such as the one you see below. As Mario stated about the freshly rolled cigars they will go through a sick period, as to how long that might be... its hard to tell for sure. I've only had a few of these in the time that I've been smoking cigars, in my experiance they have never been enjoyable. I would also say that I've only smoked them just rolled, I've never let them mellow. Perhaps I would have enjoyed them more.
if you really want to keep it simple, try a wet paper towel in a baggy left opened for a humidification device. The shot glass/water idea is dangerous as it can spill. The other ideas, although cheap, do cost a few bucks.

If you are sensitive to the taste of "green" try maduros. Lots of people mistakenly think of these cigars as strong. That is usually not the case. They are simply ripe. The color comes from a ripening process and in this process the leaf becomes sweeter.

But, before you go hog-wild and buy yourself a bunch of randomly selected maduros, talk to people because the strongest cigars do in fact come in dark shades and this can taint your opinions.
   Go to a cigar store and see if they will give you a churchill size wood cigar box that has a heavy wood lid. Add one of those $4 Bovida humidipacks that fishhound recommended (they last about 4 months).  They make an 84% seasoning pack which might be better as you will not have the good seal that you will get from the humidor you plan to purchase so I expect you will lose some humidity because of that. Store your box in a cool spot.

Since you work in a cigar bar they may have some of those humidipaks that Fuente places in boxes of their cigars before they ship them. If those are still supple and gel like when you feel them those might save you from having to purchase some. Just replace them when they become hard.

Happy Smoking.....tmort
all great advice given. ziplocs, tupperdors, coolerdors, all good.

the only thing i'd add is enjoy the trip. you've probably got a lot of questions, and the best way to answer them is to just keep smoking and trying things, asking questions here, and you'll find what works best for you. the occasional dead end or dog rocket is inevitable, but that's just part of the journey, and believe that in a year you'll know way more about cigars than 98% of the people on the planet. have fun!
back when i was just getting into cigars, and actually had a little cigar shop to stop by, the owner would give me some empty boxes, and a little chunk of florist foam. i'd take my sticks home, and let them rest in the empty box along with a little piece of that wet foam, and never had any problems doing it that way. maybe not the best solution, but it worked for me.