Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a different kind of wish list
I received a call from a local hospice program. I was informed that a 12 year old boy who was dying of cancer had expressed his desire for a painting of a specific theme he had in his head. I was told that they were re-doing his room in blue and white as his only requests as he prepared for death were for a blue and white bedroom and this painting to hang on the wall. I received the call on Thursday. I completed the painting and met with the case manager to pass the painting along with a brief note for the boy. She told me that he asked that she take a photo of me with the painting and that made me smile. She took the photo, took the painting and headed on her way. I then thought how I would like a photo of him with the painting as well. I called and left a message with the woman. She called me this morning at 9 and explained that she just got my message this morning and apologized for her not having thought of it. The boy passed away at 8:10 this morning. I didn't even know this boy but was saddened by the news. I am so grateful that I wasted no time in fulfilling his wish. The room was completed and they hung the painting just long enough to photograph it on the wall of his new room. He was too weak to be moved to the room so they brought to him the photos and the painting. I was told that he loved the painting and that the note made him laugh.

Let's take a second to count our blessings, folks.
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
That is a very touching story M4M, and yes you are right we should be counting our blessings.  I am glad to hear you jumped on his wish right away so that he had time to see it.  I am sure it made is day.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
one of the best shares in years. Thanks for the wakeup and story.
Your a good man M4M. I'm speechless, what do you say to that. The world would be a much better place if everyone was capable of such selfless deeds.
I'm a little embarrassed by the comments about what I did for this boy...afterall, he provided the concept and emotion behind it. All I did was make it tangible for him. I am grateful to have had the opportunity. I don't mean to sound unappreciative for the kind remarks. On the contrary, I am very appreciative. It felt good to have played a role in this. What a bitter-sweet feeling.....It feels good just to share this story with you all. I wish we could all sit together with a pot of coffee and some smokes and talk about what we are grateful for today.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ab826c"Hell...I'm grateful for today, period.
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
That is a terrific story, Eric.

It must feel very special that you were able to touch the lives of this boy and his family and gave him some happiness before his all too short time on this world was over.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Eric
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
Dude, You rock. Like a Hurricane. A gift of selfless art is always cool. But, for a child in the process of facing his mortality.... I'm just a little teary eyed. Okay, so I'm bawlin'.

Yes, thank you for sharing!!

I know helping kids in these situations and making a difference for them is all the reward we need. But it is still good to hear the thanks of your fellow man.

I've grown my hair a couple times to donate to Locks of Love. This last time I got a letter from one of the kids that got a wig from my hair. Punch to the gut.......

So anyway, good on you for fulfilling the dreams of this child and helping his family.

Upload us a pic of the piece, if you would...... Please.

It's hard to keep a good man down.

Check Out Our Blog: www.andthatiswhatheshesaid.blogspot.com

cigars, restaurants, and more!!!

All your ashtrays are belong to us!
What a great story!   That was an awesome thing that you did, and you managed to give him a smile and some happiness...   that is something has family will always appreciate!

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story!  My evening cigar will be that much sweeter due to this.  Awesome you were able to play a part in this positive moment.
wow. 

wisest words there.  let's all count our blessings.  life is a lot more fragile and finite than we're all willing to admit or conceive.