Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Storage
So due to my wifes intervention...( see  post about throwing out some of my cigars )

I have moved my humidors and coolidoors to a secure storage in my shop.........Will it matter if they freeze during the winter months or should I rig up some heat for them ?

Thanks guys!

65 to 75 is optimum, otherwise you chance damage to a huge enjoyable investment. Do what you have to do to maintain your babies. Good luck man. T

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Freezing your cigars will not destroy them, but they will lose some of the essential oils in them when they thaw.  I did hear this weekend that a very reputable cigar maker has a warehoue full of cigars at around 55*, but 85% humidity and everyting smokes and ages amazing.

If you are storing them at your shop, most places will have a night setback on the t-stats set around 60* to prevent pipes and things from freezing.  So if your shop does have this you should be all set, if not and it's your shop I can guve you a few t-stat models you could pick up for this.

Tafdom, even 75 is close to being too hot.  I never go above 68-70* and 63% humidity.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
We usually think of coolers as something to keep things cold but the insulation will also keep things warm.  Depending on just how cold your shop gets you just might get by with occasional airing/warming.  If you need to heat the cooler you could consider putting in a piece of copper tubing with some low voltage heat wrap on it to keep things from freezing.  A few cubic feet of super insulated, sealed space at approximately 72% Rh shouldn't take a lot of heat to maintain a good cigar environment.

Theoretically feasible?

Of couse you could send your entire stash here, I have a nice heated basement and plenty of space!  I would love them as if they were my own.

Good luck
Mark Wrote:I did hear this weekend that a very reputable cigar maker has a warehoue full of cigars at around 55*, but 85% humidity and everyting smokes and ages amazing.
I heard the same thing...just amazing!!!Cool
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
Mark Wrote:I did hear this weekend that a very reputable cigar maker has a warehoue full of cigars at around 55*, but 85% humidity and everyting smokes and ages amazing.
I heard the same thing...just amazing!!!Cool
Me too!  Wink
yeah, i wouldn't recommend them being too cold. and contrary to what mark said, my cigars get warmer than 75 in the summer, sometime getting close to 80, and i've never had any problems with them. and in the winter they cool down closer to 65, again never had a problem. however, here where i live, it's a totally different climate from where he lives. i cry that it is muggy when the humidity gets up over 35%. your cigars are at their best when they're in your humidor, especially when you figure what they've gone through to get there. now, my storage conditions may not be "optimal", but they work.
Mark Wrote:Freezing your cigars will not destroy them, but they will lose some of the essential oils in them when they thaw.  I did hear this weekend that a very reputable cigar maker has a warehoue full of cigars at around 55*, but 85% humidity and everyting smokes and ages amazing.

If you are storing them at your shop, most places will have a night setback on the t-stats set around 60* to prevent pipes and things from freezing.  So if your shop does have this you should be all set, if not and it's your shop I can guve you a few t-stat models you could pick up for this.

Tafdom, even 75 is close to being too hot.  I never go above 68-70* and 63% humidity.
Thanks Mark, I only gave the 65 to 75 because of what my newbness has read. I have not see many 63% though. I have read a bunch from cigar humidor dave's emails I signed up for when I was stupider that I am now. I have seen people break it down further and have different humidor @ different %s for different cigars. wow, that doesn't sound right.  I have some smokes that you are so wet they smolder and I don't know what to do, and some are kinda dry.  Could somebody advise? Thanks

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Oily cigars smoke much better at lower humidity.  If you keep your humi at 70%, take very oily cigars that you are going to smoke out a few hours early.  You could also drop the humidity in the humi, like I said I run mine around 63% and everything smokes perfect.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Thanks guys.

Maybe I will rig up a light bulb on a t-stat or something to keep them warm.

The container the coolidoor and humidors are in is made of steel and measures about 4x4 and 5 foot long.