Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JR's new Luxury Products division

I'm including the email for those who don't get these and was just wondering what you guys thought of the whole thing?  I'm not really interested in these myself with all the purchases I've made recently but I'm wondering about joining the club for future access.  Looks like Lew's done it again!

In November JR will launch a new Luxury Products division on our website.

[Image: pu20_wt.jpg]

These are true vintage cigars we have "rat-holed" over the years, and cigars we have obtained from time to time from various manufacturers in small quantities that were left over due to a difference in the number of boxes made, tubes ordered, etc. during the original lifespan of these items. Additionally, there will also be a number of the highly "hyped" luxury boutique brands listed there.

The Luxury Cigar division will require a $25.00 fee to join. That fee will enable customers to get a 10% discount on all their purchases from that division only and get special emails when other unusual and normally unobtainable products come into stock.

While the programming is being finalized, this week and this week only, we are giving all our email customers the opportunity to buy a sample of one of these products at a one-time special price.

The item we selected is a unit of ten Punch Grand Cru Pyramids from the year 2000.

These cigars had a retail price of $10.00 each in 2000. In the Luxury Division, they will sell for $85.00, and if you choose to become a member you'll receive an automatic discount of 10% for a final cost of $76.50 for the ten cigars (less than what they sold for 7 years ago!).

As a one time offer, so you can see for yourself the quality of these products without paying the $25.00 Membership Fee first, we are making this unit available for just $50.00. That price is honestly less than the same cigars would cost our company if we were to purchase them today!

There are two varieties of this 6.12 inch by 54 ring shapely chisel pointed figurado: an Ecuador Sumatra wrapped EMS and a dark delicious Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro.
Punch Grand Cru Pyramid 2000 EMS
Retail Price in 2000: $100.00
One-Time Special Price: $50.00

Punch Grand Cru Pyramid 2000 Maduro
Retail Price in 2000: $100.00
One-Time Special Price: $50.00
Lew is smooth no doubt about it.  He is a definitive resource in the industry and a seminal part of it's history but he is first and foremost a salesman and for that i'd trust him as far as i could throw him.  Anyone else remember his get in line now for the ending of the embargo so you're guaranteed your cubans?  How about selling an unnamed sampler for $50 and then filling it with deoderant and second rate smokes.  The man could sell ice to eskimos and often leave them feeling cheated.  Really nice guy but "promotions" like this ring hollow with me.
I wonder if Lew considers the Flor de Baloney a premium stick? Confusedhock:
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:Lew is smooth no doubt about it.  He is a definitive resource in the industry and a seminal part of it's history but he is first and foremost a salesman and for that i'd trust him as far as i could throw him.  Anyone else remember his get in line now for the ending of the embargo so you're guaranteed your cubans?  How about selling an unnamed sampler for $50 and then filling it with deoderant and second rate smokes.  The man could sell ice to eskimos and often leave them feeling cheated.  Really nice guy but "promotions" like this ring hollow with me.
Yeah, well they lost me years ago after I actually read one of their catalogs. They will hype the $h!t out of every dog rocket they sell.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I wonder if Lew considers the Flor de Baloney a premium stick? Confusedhock:
      Absolutely, and only exclusive to JR customers. No one else has any left, we found them buried deep in our 10 million square foot humidor. You can have them for 39.99 as a special deal, they have 10 years of age on them. Hurry up and buy them before I change my mind and keep them for myself, they are my favorite smoke.
There is something that just isn't right about paying someone to have the "privilage" to purchase products from them. I have bought things from JR over the years and have been pretty happy with most of it but Lew is a bullshit salesman, You just cant believe anything he writes...
I just noticed that I only have like 65 post in the almost 3 years I've been a member here.....I guess I don't say much........
Tattoo_Mike Wrote:I just noticed that I only have like 65 post in the almost 3 years I've been a member here.....I guess I don't say much........
Aaaah, but what you do say is always high quality!  I got the same feeling from this one guys.  I've bought from JR's over the years.  Made a point to check out one of the stores while I was in DC a couple years ago.  I also enjoy the fact that Lew himself posts over on CW.  I can appreciate the fact that he's willing to put himself out there in the open forum but this did strike me as pretty much like the cuban deal (I believe the people who took him up on that are still on that list).  Thanks for giving me a sounding board on this one.  I guess I won't be paying the $25.  Now, what do you think of the first cigar he's offering?  Doesn't even seem that special to me... 
Call me crazy, but I'm not convinced that 7 years of aging would be good for the Punch Grand Cru.

Or, on the flip side, I wonder if they end up fudging some age numbers.
Here's my take. If a reputable joint like Jack Schwartz of some other such place were doing this, I may see the validity. I may plunk down a few bucks to be able to have a shot at some truly good and hard-to-find sticks. But this is J&R. What are they going to push off 5 y/o Belindas? You know there's a reason why they have 5 y/o Belindas, cause no one wanted to buy them! J&R is trying to be loke a local B&M online. Like having a membership. But, J&R, where's my 72" TV & leather chair??!!