Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro Brewers Faced With Hops Shortage to Raise Beer Prices, Alter Recipes
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
Mark Wrote:Yeah they can grow here from April to Sept, but from what I understand they first year they don't produce hops, it takes 2-3 years to get a good harvest.
Where do you get the plants from?
They come from the Hop Farms in WA and OR.  My LHBS sells they when the farms ship them out.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
Mark Wrote:Yeah they can grow here from April to Sept, but from what I understand they first year they don't produce hops, it takes 2-3 years to get a good harvest.
Where do you get the plants from?
They come from the Hop Farms in WA and OR.  My LHBS sells they when the farms ship them out.
Have you thought about building a "greenhouse/brewhaus/herf" shed? Big Grin
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Mark Wrote: grow my own.

That might just become the next #2 cash crop. LOLs

Early warning signs

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

It's not commonly known, but hops closest relative in the plant family is cannibis.

In fact, you can graft marijuana onto hop vines, and hop buds onto marijuana.

Neither will result in a beer that will get you high, however, as THC is alcohol and fat soluble and there isn't enough alcohol in beer to do the job.

-Scoop

ScoopLV Wrote:It's not commonly known, but hops closest relative in the plant family is cannibis.

In fact, you can graft marijuana onto hop vines, and hop buds onto marijuana.

Neither will result in a beer that will get you high, however, as THC is alcohol and fat soluble and there isn't enough alcohol in beer to do the job.

-Scoop
I knew that Scoop, that's why I posted it from what Mark said. The first thing that came into my little undefraged mind.LOL

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I can't wait to see what my vines do next year after giving me about an ounce of dry hops in their first year.  I definitely want to add a few more and be prepared for years like this when everything is runnin dry. 

I re-checked the northern brewer's site- a lot of the pellet hops are gone, too.  About the only way to get hop from them it this point is to buy their beer kits, which is actually fine by me, but I may get a kit that has a few extra ounces of hops so that I can stock up a little.
LC, act QUICK!

www.freshops.com

www.hopsdirect.com

Both places are awesome and the hops are so freaking fresh, they smell amazing.

Do you think Yankee Candle makes a "Hop" scented candle? Tongue
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:LC, act QUICK!

http://www.freshops.com

http://www.hopsdirect.com

Both places are awesome and the hops are so freaking fresh, they smell amazing.

Do you think Yankee Candle makes a "Hop" scented candle? Tongue
Now that would be an awesome smelling candle!!