Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Scam
New Scam - beware/protect your friends

Of all the security issues there are to worry about, I never really gave much thought to e-mail. However just having had my e-mail compromised and seeing with the scammers did with it, it got me worrying. Once they had access to my e-mail, they changed the password. This was a nightmare for me to get fixed. But more concerning, they read my e-mails... big deal, right? Wrong. Any e-mail from any place that indicated I had an account they went there and entered my e-mail to get a new password. This included my e-bay account and my paypal account. Now, very fortunately for me, the guys who did my account were amateurs and idiots. From here a skilled person would change my e-bay profile to pint to a different paypal bank account or change the options to take money orders only. then put up a Wii or i-pod or i-phone or anything that will sell fast for a good price and put it up for sale on e-bay. Collect the payments and run. My jerkoff scammer just bought stuff and tried to pay with my paypal account, but, the balance was 0 (a few months ago it was $400). So he tried to get them to send the stuff before payment. (What the idiot didn't realize is that my paypal is backed by another bank account with over $30,000 in it.. whew).
So I fixed everything and then did a little homework. It seems that for e-mail hacking there is yet another scam. This one is potentially more scary, but not for you, for your friends... hat happens is, if you maintain your contacts on a web-client (I don't, I use my local fat-client, outlook) they break in, change your password then send out to everyone on your contact list a little e-mail begging for help that reads something like: "Help, I am in trouble, I am abroad and need some cash Anything you can send will be appreciated. $50, $100, $1,000. Please be sure that I consider you a great friend and will ensure you will get paid back the moment I return. Until then please send what you can and have the $ wired to this account: ......(nigeria)..... Thanks for your help. blah blah blah...

It seems that quite a few people have actually sent money.
gotta love nigeria. makes the wild west look like chuck e. cheese.
Thanks for the heads-up Skipper!

I logged into my ebay account a while back and all the text was changed to chinese.  They also listed a bunch of DVD's for sale under my name.  Luckily, Ebay caught it the same time as I.  They also logged into my Papal account but I have a zero balance.  Kudos to Paypal as they also caught it!

For ID theft I use Lifelock.  $180/year for my wife and I and its wonderful.  My bank cannot even access my credit anymore without my direct verification.  This pissed off my bank but I love the security.

Daryn

This stuff is way too scary..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Hey!!!!!!  I just won the Scottish Lottery!!!!   And I didn't even enter!! 

To claim my prize, all I have to do is send all my personal info & if I give them my bank account info, they will even deposit the money for me!! Isn't that awesome!!

And, in order to offer greater prizes, they reduced the operating costs of the lottery by running it from Nigeria!! Tongue

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
or you can receive this e mail:

Dear customer of Fifth Third Bank,

Fifth Third Customer Service requests you to complete Commercial Banking Online Form.

This procedure is obligatory for all Fifth Third Direct users.

Please click hyperlink below to access Commercial Banking Online Form.

I took out the url.

people actually respond to this crap.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I got emails from paypal clinked onto the link to starting signing onto my paypal account and realized before completing it that it was a hacked page set up to look like paypal. You shouldn't have an account that kind of funding accessible to paypal. I use a separate account and transfer funds to it when necessary.
I went to log onto my E-bay acccount a few months ago and found out they had shut my account down due to someone hacking in and using my email to contact other e-bay'ers, not sure for what.  Didn't buy anything or sell anything, so I lucked out.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Hey!!!!!!  I just won the Scottish Lottery!!!!   And I didn't even enter!! 

To claim my prize, all I have to do is send all my personal info & if I give them my bank account info, they will even deposit the money for me!! Isn't that awesome!!

And, in order to offer greater prizes, they reduced the operating costs of the lottery by running it from Nigeria!! Tongue
yeah!! let's celebrate!! how do you score the scottish lottery? i always get stuck with the ones from laviva lotto group. between that, and all the people's fortunes i could have helped them smuggle into the country, i should be approaching billions by now.