Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE cigar(s) that made you a Cigar guy (or girl is the case may be)
We have all tried crap...in high school or around the camp fire.  But there was one...maybe more than one, that really made you see the light.  What was the cigar that made you a Cigar guy?

for me:

My buddy Jeff in college was quite a good looking guy and was sort of "discovered" when we were in school in the 90's.  His agent flew him to hollywood on occasion and he came back with some cigars once or us to try that his agent said were good.

He gave me a Fonseca, an Avo, and an Opus X Corona.  Jeff never made it big time, but still a best friend.

They were so good that I went to get a part time job at a local cigar shop to learn more.

While working there, I had a girlfriend who brought me back a few sticks while traveleing overseas...a bahia (awful) and a montecristo "A".   The monte took 3 hours and almost killed me.  But very, very nice.  I just couldn't handle it all at the time. 

The real culprit was while at a friends lakehouse. My friend's dad was a big time lawyer and had a whole humidor full of Cohiba Robustos.  He gave me one.

I never looked back.  Amazing.  I loved it.  I will never for get the day.  The rest is history. 
My story is not nearly as interesting.  I just walked into a humidor and picked up a cigar and liked it a lot.  I have no idea what it was but I remember it cost like $12.  Well that cigar shop burnt to the ground and it's a good thing as it would have bankrupted me.

Much later my interest was rekindled on a cruise when luckily stumbled into some nice cigars again.  A Montecristo #2 really opened my eyes but it is a shame that only a few in the box have been that good.
 love the #2...here in Costa Rica, they are REALLY pricey. Like $40-$50 each if you can find them. 

I did get the ultimate compliment the other day from a friend/client who bought a box from me.  I have it framed on my wall.  check this out:

Jeff October 15 at 9:52pm Reply

Dan, you are a master of your trade. I'm on the deck right now with a Back Nine torpedo an a snifter of fine rum, warm and tingley all over. Reminds me of a Cuban Monte Cristo #2 Torpedo, but smoother. Even burn, even draw and not a single tiny knot. Perfection. I will be buying more before these are gone, and I will share them with a handful of the right people out here. Gig'em!
Sent via Facebook Mobile

Jeff October 15 at 10:39pm Reply

Ok. I've had a LOT of fine cigars, including a wide host of Cubans. That was easily one of the top five cigars I've smoked, and I do not exaggerate. That was simply superior. Your marketing strategy is right on. You officially have a pusher in Colorado.

Compliments like that make any business owner want to work overtime.

I have always liked cigars.  But I never knew that premium cigars were out there.  I did but I didn't. 

When I was 18 I went on a pheasant hunting trip and picked up some Swisher Sweets while doing lunch at a poduck convenience store.  Now we all know that Swishers are dog rockets but to a poor college kid they are the bomb.

Over the years I would pick up full sized 3 packs on occasion for trips to the lake and such for some smoking around the fire.

I started travelling to Mexico about 10 years ago on an annual basis.  It was there I discovered better cigars.  I obtain fake Cubans (I knew not what I was doing) but they were good to me.  Then I found the real Cuban's in the expensive humidors at the resorts and really saw the light.

About 4 years ago I started smoking more cigars.  I bought a sampler pack from Finck's and the La Gloria Cubana and CAO CX2 got the ball rolling for me.  Now that ball is a huge hole in my pocket book but I love the hobby.
RyJ Bully. First step up from Walgreen's Garcia y Vega and Onyx offerings . . . [lol]

Loved 'em for years. Then at a tasting at the B&M I spend entirely too much time and money at these days, they handed me a VSG Spellbound.

Holy crap. Confusedhock:

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
Well I cant really say what cigar/cigars made me a cigar guy but I can simply say this... Being Sicilian I thought it went hand in hand plus you have uncles/grandfathers that enjoy cigars when you are growing up that kinda opens a door for you. 

But it was the aroma of the smoke when I was young that made me interested in cigars.  But for some reason when I got my first cigars I dont remember them tasting anytime like the aroma. 
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
Great traditions John.  I remember looking at black and white photos of tobacco factories in the 1800's in my social studies books.  The look of stacked cigars somehow appealed to me.  Not that I wanted to smoke a cigar as a 6th grader but those images always stuck with me until the day I could finally smoke a great stick.
US_Tank Wrote:Great traditions John.  I remember looking at black and white photos of tobacco factories in the 1800's in my social studies books.  The look of stacked cigars somehow appealed to me.  Not that I wanted to smoke a cigar as a 6th grader but those images always stuck with me until the day I could finally smoke a great stick.
I agree with you tons on the photos.  Handmade cigars do have this appeal to them in photos, they are art in there own way. 

They are also natures way of making us slow down time and enjoy life.
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
A buddy in college got me into cigars a little, but I wasn't truly hooked until a girl gifted me a Hemingway. I loved it, and dove in head first.
JoeBob Wrote:A buddy in college got me into cigars a little, but I wasn't truly hooked until a girl gifted me a Hemingway. I loved it, and dove in head first.
[doh] And I thought you ordered cigars for the free deodorant....Tongue Big Grin Wink
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles