Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too much humidity?
Ok, here's a question. In my never ending quest to keep sticks fresh, here's the issue. I seasoned my new  humidor due to the old one not getting above 60% in these winter months plus saw it go to 59%. It has been 2 days and it won't come down from 81%. It is a very good humidor not a cheapo depot special. So what's the deal? Any one know what's up? I was going to leave the lid open for a little while to try and stabilize it. Is this a problem in the winter months? [smokin2]
You might want to try adding something like a cedar box, or the dividers from another humi to try and absorb some of the extra humidity.  But keep in mind, right now, the wood has soaked up all it will.  It will continue to give up humidity as it escapes until the wood dries up again.  The wood acts like a buffer, allows for rebound after the humi has been opened to pluck out a stick.  I think I'd fill it up, see if it balances out.  Get some beads also from Heartfeltindustries.com  If you put them in there dry, they will reclaim some of the moisture, and give you even more buffer room for faster recovery.
aka: The Bouncer
"I Herfed with The Mum" !! And have the shirt to prove it !!!!
I got my "Big Cock t-shirt from Tankie !!!
What made it go up to 81%? something had to change,simply open the lid for a few minutes thenremove humidifier overnight and see what the reading is after 24hrs. Then report back for further instructions. [rob]

btw you really cant go wrong with the beads,order some from Nick here....

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Produc...NSERVAGEL2
don's spot on and i wholeheartedly agree with he and matt about the beads. 
Got the beads, trying to find distilled water. It's like scarce stuff man. Plus I replaced the battery from my hygrometer and am retesting it to see if it is spot on.Thanks for all the help guys. Everyone here rocks.[winner]
thatbobguy8 Wrote:[color="red"]Got the beads, trying to find distilled water[/color]. It's like scarce stuff man. Plus I replaced the battery from my hygrometer and am retesting it to see if it is spot on.Thanks for all the help guys. Everyone here rocks.[winner]
Try Walgreens or Walmart.
wingo Wrote:
thatbobguy8 Wrote:[color="red"]Got the beads, trying to find distilled water[/color]. It's like scarce stuff man. Plus I replaced the battery from my hygrometer and am retesting it to see if it is spot on.Thanks for all the help guys. Everyone here rocks.[winner]
Also,don't look for it where they sell the bottled water aisle,it's usually in the aisle they have the ironing stuff. [rob]
Bluesman455 Wrote:
wingo Wrote:
thatbobguy8 Wrote:Got the beads, trying to find distilled water. It's like scarce stuff man. Plus I replaced the battery from my hygrometer and am retesting it to see if it is spot on.Thanks for all the help guys. Everyone here rocks.[winner]
Also,don't look for it where they sell the bottled water aisle,it's usually in the aisle they have the ironing stuff. [rob]

I get mine at Rite-Aid...$1.29 a gallon.....

but watch out....I've seen distilled bottled water with Fluoride added...you Don't want that!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I'd be shocked if your humidity went to 81% unless you lived in Honduras (but your profile saye Mass). Check your gauge. Is it digital? Any chance you got a drop of water in there? Did the temperature suddenly plummet as this could cause watter droplets to form inside of the hygrometer?

Take out the hygrometer and check the humidity of the ambient air in the room. Leave your humidor closed (you don't want to lower the humidity if the gage is messed up).

Try a second gauge. & for gods sakes make sure it's digital.

Also, calibrate it. Maybe it just plain broke.
Got my new humi , seasoned it, and recalibrated my digital hygro, everything is perfect. 71% and holding. All the sticks are singing joyous songs of new humi praise. [bravo]