Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalmore Cigar Malt Discontinued?
     I visited my local "State Store" (that's liquor store for you non-Pennsylvanians) to pick up a bottle of cognac for my father's birthday.  While I was there, I had every intention of picking up another bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt scotch.  Much to my dismay, there was none to be found.  I asked the clerk when their next shipment was due, and much to my dismay she stated that it has been discontinued. 

Is this true?  Has anyone else heard about this?  Granted, it wasn't exactly the smoothest scotch on the market, but as >$40, I thought it was a damn good value. 

Assuming it has indeed been discontinued, any recommendations in the same price range?
i had heard in a thread on here somewhere that it was discontinued. i didn't really like the stuff. i'll look for that thread, if i recall there was some debate as to whether it had been discontinued or maybe just sold off to a different distributor or something of the sort. but in that same price range you can get balvenie doublewood, which to me is a MUCH better drink.
That is too bad, for $35 a bottle I always had one on my bar.  I will have to see if there are any bottles lingering around the shelves in my area.
i did a little reading up online. and according to the stuff i read (don't know how accurate it is) it had been dropped by the distributor, jb. but it still was going to be produced by dalmore. apparently it's still available in some places.
scott81425 Wrote:....in that same price range you can get balvenie doublewood, which to me is a MUCH better drink.
     No doubt, Balvenie is superior when compared to Dalmore - just felt the Cigar Malt was a good bottle for the money.  Here in PA, Balvenie Doublewood is about $47 per bottle.  Perhaps I'll just suck it up and pay the extra $ for the good stuff.  Just curious to know if I was missing another gem in the <$40 range. 
Pete Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:....in that same price range you can get balvenie doublewood, which to me is a MUCH better drink.
     No doubt, Balvenie is superior when compared to Dalmore - just felt the Cigar Malt was a good bottle for the money.  Here in PA, Balvenie Doublewood is about $47 per bottle.  Perhaps I'll just suck it up and pay the extra $ for the good stuff.  Just curious to know if I was missing another gem in the <$40 range. 
no bueno. our prices here must be a little different on the dalmore. i think the bottle i got was 42. and the doublewood here is 44. so i guess our cigarmalt varies in price a bit.
The cigar malt for me was a change from the norm that always made a forey back to the good stuff a welcome home. It was not bad .... far from it really ... but it will always play second fiddle in my book.

Then again, why would anybody listen to me, I have drank whisky that has questionable ingredients in my past.......... the stuff even came in a bag as opposed to a bottle.

For me at least ........ $10 of a difference to have something you REALLY like as opposed to something that just fits the bill is a no brainer.

[happy]
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
scott81425 Wrote:no bueno. our prices here must be a little different on the dalmore. i think the bottle i got was 42. and the doublewood here is 44. so i guess our cigarmalt varies in price a bit.
    Yeah, it sucks because Pennsylvania's liquor sales are State regulated.  Beer sales are privatized, but when it comes to liquor, the State Government has the final say with regard to pricing - no room for competition.  Unless there's a statewide special, a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood is a cool $49.81 (including 6% State sales tax), anywhere in PA - unless you're in Philly, where it'll cost you $50.28 due to their 7% State sales tax within city limits.  MURDER!

Balvenie Doublewood it is.   

Here in CT there is about a $20 difference between cigar malt ($35) and doublewood ($55)
ashman Wrote:Here in CT there is about a $20 difference between cigar malt ($35) and doublewood ($55)
geez! makes me wonder why its only 2 or 3 here in colorado.