Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE REDBULL STRATOS jump from space! New HELMET CAM VIDEO FOOTAGE!
(10-15-2012, 09:55 AM)Tonto Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 09:21 AM)Parkster Wrote: The same spirit that made man step outside of the cave, that made man climb Everest and look for the North pole, that very same spirit is alive and well in this guy.

I tip my hat off to him, his balls are bigger than his brain, but I respect that all the same because if our ancestors never took leaps of faith like that we would be a poorer species for it.

I have to agree with that 110%.

+2 for sure.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
I would have loved to watch it. Highest i ever jumped was 38,500.
I think I myself may have jumped 20 feet into a lake. LOL

(10-15-2012, 03:30 PM)tarheel7734 Wrote: I would have loved to watch it. Highest i ever jumped was 38,500.

“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
(10-15-2012, 05:36 PM)Ari Wrote: I think I myself may have jumped 20 feet into a lake. LOL

(10-15-2012, 03:30 PM)tarheel7734 Wrote: I would have loved to watch it. Highest i ever jumped was 38,500.

Mine's about 15' off a high diving board....many years ago.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I saw the replay. Pretty awesome seeing him just drop like that

Felix Baumgartner's Helmet Cam Footage
Check out this incredible footage from Felix Baumgartner's helmet cam during his jump from 128,000 feet above the Earth.

http://specials.msn.com/msnvideo/video?v...snhpvidmod
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Thanks guys I was able to watch it.
(10-14-2012, 11:57 AM)Tonto Wrote: I'm wondering ....his suit must have a heat shield component, right?

Jan, I heard on the news that NASA is looking into his suit to see if something can be developed for astronauts who have trouble during takeoff and need to bail.

This was nothing short of incredible. And Jan, I am not that much older than you, but old enough to remember being glued to the TV watching all the Apollo tests, trips and landings.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(10-16-2012, 08:51 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 11:57 AM)Tonto Wrote: I'm wondering ....his suit must have a heat shield component, right?

Jan, I heard on the news that NASA is looking into his suit to see if something can be developed for astronauts who have trouble during takeoff and need to bail.

This was nothing short of incredible. And Jan, I am not that much older than you, but old enough to remember being glued to the TV watching all the Apollo tests, trips and landings.

Skip, it was indeed an incredible feat & yeah I heard too that NASA was interested in the suit. But the main difference that I see in using the suit as an escape vehicle, is that he jumped from a relatively stationary platform. An astronaut would have to abandon ship from a space shuttle, or from the space station, which in orbit (depending on altitude) has a velocity of something in the neighborhood of 15,000 - 17,000 MPH. I think the friction would be too much for the suit to handle. The space shuttle had all those heat shield tiles. I think I read once that the temp went over 6,000° F.

Edit to add: I think any research done in the name of science is a good thing. You never know what we will learn.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
So many of the medical equipment that is used to monitor and keep people alive was born from space exploration. In particular heart monitors. But it doesn't end there.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer