Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
Looks beautiful, nice Nick!
This is my boomstick!
Reading the book American sour beers. I finally understand what a turbid mash is. Lol

Brewing a lambic next Saturday with all the dics. Let's hope we don't screw it up as it will be fermenting for 2 years. Haha
Nick joined the big boy club. Congrats...
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I'm too lazy to go to the store to buy beer...can't imagine brewing my own !!! Smile
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.
Steven Wright
I have a kettle a burner, and a carboy. I need to get off my a$$ and get the rest of the stuff I need! I've at least been doing a damn fine job of emptying bottles... Big Grin

Really to get started all you need is a fine mesh bag and the ingredients maytag!
May not have as clear a beer as possible, but the BIAB (brew in a bag) method does work quite well!
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
(03-23-2015, 03:44 PM)GMJager Wrote: Really to get started all you need is a fine mesh bag and the ingredients maytag!
May not have as clear a beer as possible, but the BIAB (brew in a bag) method does work quite well!

I've did quite a bit of reading, and feel like I'm just about ready after I collect some more stuff...    It gets hot enough here that I think I'm going to have to find an old chest freezer on Craigslist or something and a controller to use for fermentation.   And then stuff like a wort chiller, etc.

And I need to refresh my memory on the software to get, and the tweaks to make it work correctly for BIAB batches.

There are a couple of guys in the local club that have already told me they'd come over and help me out as I get started.

Then I just need to get a recipe for a super piney and resiny IPA to start off with.  Big Grin

Bill having help is so important. Mark helps me a ton and my beers tend to come out drinkable and actually some of them are pretty good. I think we talk more about brewing beer than anything else. haha

I have one year of all grain brewing under my belt so hopefully this year I can refine the process a bit and really start to make some good beers.
If you're much of a handyman (which I believe you are?) depending on what kind of wort chiller you want, might be able to make one!
Being on a really limited budget while in school (hence why I'm still in BIAB mode), I made an immersion chiller in an afternoon that works great!

I agree, help is definitely important to have! I did SO much reading and learning before I went for a brew day, and I'm 3/5 on good batches (one cider was drinkable but way too dry for me, and the other was a cream ale that just wasn't to my liking... But the girlfriend enjoyed it)
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
I thought your beers were good Graham!