StogieChat Cigar Forum
HEY TANK..... - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics & Issues (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Nothing About Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: HEY TANK..... (/thread-6285.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- madurodave - 09-20-2008

I need some guidance.  Been working out hard and consistently for a long time.  Seems here lately I have hit a plateau.  I haven't increased my strength very much at all in the last couple months.  Currently on a advanced strength training program, working different muscle group on different day of the week, one week rest between.  Usually work this particular group so hard, it takes damn near a week to recover.  Been quite effective but I cannot hit the next level.......  Very frustrating.  I have exhausted my efforts finding answers in the www and thought you may can help.  Should I add a creatine supplement.  Not big on pills but may consider.  Currently taking a multi-vitamin, fish oils and vitamin C daily.  Used to drink SuperFoods by GNC..did for months but stopped because the crap is just too nasty and I hated that part of my mornings.  Do you have any reccomendation?

Thanks Tank!

- tafdom - 09-20-2008

More Steroids. [ROTF]

[Image: Barry%20Bonds.jpg]

- macallan2 - 09-20-2008

Dave, I'm sure Tank will have some more in-depth answers for ya but I wanted to let you know what I take.  For recovery I take:
500mg L-Lysine
400mg Magnesium Oxide
1000mg Fish Oil
500mg L-Arginine

I chose this combo after doing some research and talking with a couple Dr.'s.  I find that my recovery time is much less.  I also find I get better workouts.  That being said, this is just my night load of supplements!  I'm kinda a pill freak! 

How much protein are you taking?  Probably the best thing I learned was to increase my protein intake.  Proper nutrition will help you greatly.  Also, do you do the same workout?  Do you switch up the routine regularly?  I found that when I plateaued in mass building I would switch focus to emphasize toning/cutting the muscles with lower weight at higher reps.  After a month or so of that I would go back to mass building and vice versa.  Hope it helps.

- madurodave - 09-20-2008

macallan2 Wrote:Dave, I'm sure Tank will have some more in-depth answers for ya but I wanted to let you know what I take.  For recovery I take:
500mg L-Lysine
400mg Magnesium Oxide
1000mg Fish Oil
500mg L-Arginine

I chose this combo after doing some research and talking with a couple Dr.'s.  I find that my recovery time is much less.  I also find I get better workouts.  That being said, this is just my night load of supplements!  I'm kinda a pill freak! 

How much protein are you taking?  Probably the best thing I learned was to increase my protein intake.  Proper nutrition will help you greatly.  Also, do you do the same workout?  Do you switch up the routine regularly?  I found that when I plateaued in mass building I would switch focus to emphasize toning/cutting the muscles with lower weight at higher reps.  After a month or so of that I would go back to mass building and vice versa.  Hope it helps.

Great advise, Gunnar!  Thanks so much.  Will do some research but I don't like taking anything...just me.  Being in the industry you are, I am comforted to hear you have no problem with it...so I probably shouldn't either. 

I do eat lots of protein and do my best to avoid refined carbs...and nasty stuff.  (my best, I might add).  Have a long way to go in this regard.  So, if I try to eat right all the time, this may add to my gains?  Never really thought about that above and beyond proper protein intake. 

I do switch up my routine but pretty much work to fatigue, even if I switch up the exercise.  Should try to do lighter, higher reps, huh?  Do you switch up monthly for the whole month or just a couple weeks?  Please elaborate.

Thanks again.

- macallan2 - 09-20-2008

Not sure what you're doing right now but I used to do mass building with enough weight to struggle with completing 3 sets of 7-10 reps.  I'd start with 7 and when I was able to do 3 full sets of 10 without struggling I would add weight.  When I found I wasn't gaining anymore I would switch the workout focus to toning.  I never cared about tone but I learned from a guy I lifted with that it was a good way to reawaken your muscles.  Totally different focus.  I would drop the weight to something I could do 12-15 times for 3 sets with only 60-90 seconds in between.  My mass building sets usually had 3-5 minutes in between.  Same weight workout routine with a totally different style.  I would also try to increase my caloric intake by 10-20% to provide more fuel for muscle growth.  Also, I'll email you some  info from the reference books we have on any supplements you're wondering about.  It lists all the adverse and prescribed usage/dosages.  PM me an email addy.

- Not A Nice Person - 09-20-2008

[user=879]tafdom[/user] wrote:
Quote:More Steroids. [ROTF]

[Image: Barry%20Bonds.jpg]

Dianabol . . . Breakfast of Champions! [lol]

My experience with creatine is that it definitely improves recovery time, both during and after workouts, and seems to help build mass . . . but the gains fade pretty quickly once you stop taking it.

Tribulus Terrestris gave me a good workout rush, but made me kind of aggro. And really, really ridiculously horny! Big Grin

Gunnar's suggestion is a good one. Sometimes you have to do something completely different to break through a plateau . . . a week of trail running and woodchopping, even. You'd be surprised how effective a total switchout can be when you go back to your former routine. You might also try supersetting the target group with its opposite for a week---set of benches, set of pulldowns, set of benches . . . like that. Same number of sets/reps, just alternating with the opposing muscle group. Can be very effective.

NANP™
[cigar]

- Jimmie the Mum - 09-20-2008

Just get laid more often, that usually works for me.Big Grin

- US_Tank - 09-21-2008

There are many snake oil supplements that make claims that just are not true.  What you need to do in injest more protein and carbs before and after workouts.  Society is on this low carb kick but carbs is what fuels you when you actually work out.

Before you work out, one hour before try to eat a banana or drink a bottle gatorade.  Post workout take orange gatorade and mix it with a vanilla protein powder.  Start drinking this within the final minutes of your workout to the end.  Then within another hour after that eat some good protein, (chicken, fish) and eat about 40-50 grams of a good carb source like brown rice, wheat bread with turkey, etc.  Avoid high glycemic carbs like white rice, white bread, and sugars.

I recommend AST sport science or EAS whey isolate protein.  You can get either for cheap at DPSnutrition.com.

One supplement that I would recommend taking is Glutamine.  Take 10 grams post workout and 10 grams before bed.   Glutamine is a conditionally essential amino acid.  What this means is that your body makes it, but in a time of metabolic stress your body does not make enough for you needs.   Working out hard is metabolic stress.  Glutamine will preserve your muscle mass and prevent your body from catabolizing you visceral proteins and lean body mass for energy.  This will further fuel your workouts and give you the energy you need to get through the plateaus. 

There are other supplements that may be helpful but this is the main one you need.  Add whey isolate protein powder and glutamine to your diet.

Hope that this helps.  I recommend AST Sport Science glutamine.  Its pharma grade and it kicks butt.

- madurodave - 09-21-2008

US_Tank Wrote:There are many snake oil supplements that make claims that just are not true.  What you need to do in injest more protein and carbs before and after workouts.  Society is on this low carb kick but carbs is what fuels you when you actually work out.

Before you work out, one hour before try to eat a banana or drink a bottle gatorade.  Post workout take orange gatorade and mix it with a vanilla protein powder.  Start drinking this within the final minutes of your workout to the end.  Then within another hour after that eat some good protein, (chicken, fish) and eat about 40-50 grams of a good carb source like brown rice, wheat bread with turkey, etc.  Avoid high glycemic carbs like white rice, white bread, and sugars.

I recommend AST sport science or EAS whey isolate protein.  You can get either for cheap at DPSnutrition.com.

One supplement that I would recommend taking is Glutamine.  Take 10 grams post workout and 10 grams before bed.   Glutamine is a conditionally essential amino acid.  What this means is that your body makes it, but in a time of metabolic stress your body does not make enough for you needs.   Working out hard is metabolic stress.  Glutamine will preserve your muscle mass and prevent your body from catabolizing you visceral proteins and lean body mass for energy.  This will further fuel your workouts and give you the energy you need to get through the plateaus. 

There are other supplements that may be helpful but this is the main one you need.  Add whey isolate protein powder and glutamine to your diet.

Hope that this helps.  I recommend AST Sport Science glutamine.  Its pharma grade and it kicks butt.

GREAT!! Exactly what I was looking for, man.  Call you later in the week!

- Vitamin G - 09-21-2008

What magic pill should i take to LOSE weight?  :?

I go to and fro between 275-282 no matter how much i work out, eat, or lay on the couch.   It sucks.