StogieChat Cigar Forum
Smoking etiquette - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General Cigar Discussion (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Smoking etiquette (/thread-4646.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- crowb8 - 01-08-2009

Y'all know I'm a newbie, so I have to ask; when you smoke your cigar in public, do you leave the band on while you smoke or take it off?

- Matt-N-Ga. - 01-08-2009

I never knew this would even be a question.  I guess I don't understand why it would matter.  I smoke what I like, if the people I'm smoking with don't like it, they don't have to smoke it.  I can't see why there would be an "etiquette" reason why you'd take the band off. 

Not trying to be an ass, so in answer to your question, i leave the band on unless it gets in the way of comfortable smoking. 

- Vitamin G - 01-08-2009

I don't usually smoke in public, and when i do, its just with friends.  I left the band on, as i've actually never herfed with buddies and NOT brought all the cigars, and was then reimbursed.

I know that techincally, (and usually in Europe mostly) etiquette says you should take the bands off, as to not to make the guy smoking the Philly Blunt feel inferior to your stradavarius or opus.   Since i'm providing the goods, i could care less. 

Frankly, i would probably care less if i smoked in a B&M also.

- Tonto - 01-08-2009

I usually leave it on until the ash starts to get close to it, then I will take it off.

I smoke the cigar, not the band.

If you try to take it off too soon, some of the glue might be stuck to the wrapper & you might damage the cigar if you try to force it.

- Bobgun - 01-08-2009

I'm not too concerned if the band is on or not, however,  I always make sure that when I smoke in public that my little finger is up in the air.Smile

- Matt-N-Ga. - 01-08-2009

Bobgun Wrote:I'm not too concerned if the band is on or not, however,  [color="red"]I always make sure that when I smoke in public that my little finger is up in the air[/color].Smile
[lol][lol][lol][lol]

- TheFife - 01-08-2009

I always take the band(s) off before I smoke.  For me it is a matter of habit.  I save all of my bands (I don't know what I will do with them at this point), and I do a lot of my smoking in the hot tub; So, it is just easier to take them off before I smoke so that I don't get them wet etc.  The other reason for it is that I am a fairly anal person (I can't stand crooked pictures on walls, etc.), and if I smoked with the band on, I would have to make sure that the band was facing up the whole time.  That might be irritating with sticks that have burn issue, since turning the cigar from time to time seems to help keep an even burn.

As for the whole etiquette thing, I couldn't care less.

Brad

- Pete - 01-08-2009

I always take off the band first.  However, for me it has little to do with etiquette, and everything to do with the fact that I'm saving the bands for a project (to be determined). 

- BuffaloBill - 01-08-2009

I leave it on until I start getting close to it and then gently try to remove it without damaging the wrapper.  Trying to remove it before that is too risky IMO.  Tearing the wrapper on an unlit cigar while trying to remove the band is a major bummer.

The only exception is when I know it won't be convenient or easy to remove the band mid-smoke (walking the dog while wearing winter gloves, for example) and in those cases I try to remove it (if it removes easily) before I leave the house and light up.  But even in this case, if it doesn't want to come off easily, I leave it.

Somewhat related:  Why can't all cigar manufacturers use glue that releases easily and keep the glue on the band and off the cigar?  Pepin's bands, for example, are perfectly glued every time.

- MaytagMan - 01-08-2009

Bobgun Wrote:I'm not too concerned if the band is on or not, however,  I always make sure that when I smoke in public that my little finger is up in the air.Smile

Funny, the finger that I raise is two over from there....   [lol]

I don't remove the band until it interferes with my smoking...   I have torn too many wrappers trying to remove the band in my early days.