StogieChat Cigar Forum
Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Cigar Help 101 (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron (/thread-19993.html)

Pages: 1 2

Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - Soulend - 10-17-2010

I've always loved the look of an oily, shiny wrapper. From FSS, though:

"A shimmering wrapper leaf, usually more apparent on a maduro cigar, can often be the difference between a sale and a pass. As my colleague Humberto Gonzalez says, "Oily cigar wrappers are attractive to the American eye because Americans love big shiny things." Actually, the oils secreted from the leaf are a product of the curing process. However, an oily wrapper is a sign that the leaf was not completely fermented. Moreover, some factories will use ethylene glycol to make their cigars look oilier.

According to Jorge Padron, that's a serious no-no.
"At Padron we would never even consider doing something like this. Much has been said about oily wrappers and how consumers should look upon this as a positive attribute of a cigar. During fermentation, the idea is to remove as much oil from the wrapper leaf as possible without entirely drying it out."

I guess that's why it is rare to see an oily-looking Padron, that are nonetheless exceptional.

Some of the pictures I've seen of cigars for sale I've honestly wondered if they wiped them with vegetable oil or something. I always figured a cigar oozing oil would be an incredible smoke. Kind of like a cigar coated with plume. Now I'm not so sure.

Ethylene glycol? Isn't that antifreeze, absurdly poisonous? Maybe he meant PG?

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - jitzy - 10-17-2010

There are definitly some manufacturers that use something on their cigars, theres one very big one that even dies them to look better. I'm not gonna call anyone out but I've had some that made my finger tips black and it wasn't padron. Padron cigars to me have always been second to none.

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - CigarJohn - 10-17-2010

Padron cigars are top on my list along with Litto but I've had many cigars with Oily wrappers and they tasted great so I'm still going to enjoy my oily cigars.

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - Soulend - 10-17-2010

If the article is correct I wonder how good they would have been if allowed to ferment completely? I've also read of the fermentation process for maduro cigars being sped up by mechanical compression in addition to the use of dyes. I too have seen these stains from a few cigars. Surely the EG remark was a typo, I sure as hell don't want to be smoking antifreeze.

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - Jimmie the Mum - 10-17-2010

(10-17-2010, 01:31 PM)jitzy Wrote: There are definitly some manufacturers that use something on their cigars, theres one very big one that even dies them to look better. I'm not gonna call anyone out but I've had some that made my finger tips black and it wasn't padron. Padron cigars to me have always been second to none.

Agreed..

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - wtfdic - 10-17-2010

interesting!

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - Matt-N-Ga. - 10-24-2010

(10-17-2010, 01:31 PM)jitzy Wrote: There are definitly some manufacturers that use something on their cigars, theres one very big one that even dies them to look better. I'm not gonna call anyone out but I've had some that made my finger tips black and it wasn't padron. Padron cigars to me have always been second to none.

You won't, but I will, Rocky Patel even admits to dyeing his Olde World Reserve line to make the wrappers look more consistent.

The truth though, fellas, is simple, manufacturers of ANY product will take short cuts and make questionable decisions to make their product more attractive to the buyers. Short Cuts can be made to drop the price, and decisions can be made to make their product fancier "looking" and look "sturdier in construction"

Long story short...Smoke What You Like, Like What You Smoke...Lifes to short to smoke shitty cigars.

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - wtfdic - 10-24-2010

(10-24-2010, 11:30 AM)Matt-N-Ga. Wrote:

You won't, but I will, Rocky Patel even admits to dyeing his Olde World Reserve line to make the wrappers look more consistent.

The truth though, fellas, is simple, manufacturers of ANY product will take short cuts and make questionable decisions to make their product more attractive to the buyers. Short Cuts can be made to drop the price, and decisions can be made to make their product fancier "looking" and look "sturdier in construction"

Long story short...Smoke What You Like, Like What You Smoke...Lifes to short to smoke shitty cigars.

Nice Matt!

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - jitzy - 10-24-2010

(10-24-2010, 11:30 AM)Matt-N-Ga. Wrote:

That was the one
Like you said about smoking shitty cigars is so true, there are sooooooooo many good cigars in the market now that smoking something good is no longer a hard choice. Back during the boom era there was so many crappy sticks out there it was a lot harder finding good ones. Now finding a great $5 smoke is pretty easy.

RE: Interesting remarks from Jorge Padron - US_Tank - 10-24-2010

Thanks for the info Dave! I have been smoking Padon's a lot more lately and they are gems.