StogieChat Cigar Forum
2009 Making the sauce - The Mum's way - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Food & Drink Section (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Favorite Foods, Snacks, and Desserts (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: 2009 Making the sauce - The Mum's way (/thread-1692.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Jimmie the Mum - 09-07-2009

Another summer has come to an end and that means it's time for The Mum to make the gravy (sauce). Here are the pics for this year.

The plum tomatoes:

[Image: TheTomatoes003.jpg]

The burner to boil the tomatoes:

[Image: TheBurner001.jpg]

The Grinder:

[Image: TheGrinder002.jpg]

Step One, Boil the Tomatoes:

[Image: Startingtheboilprocess004.jpg]

[Image: Lookatthesteam006.jpg]

[Image: Startingtoboil005.jpg]

Steo two, once the tomatoes are boiled / soft, I put them through the grinder to seperate the seeds and skins:

[Image: TheSauce007.jpg]

Here's Chris helping out:

[Image: Chrissterringsauce010.jpg]

Jess and Chris lending a hand:

[Image: JessChris011.jpg]

[Image: Jessputtingingrinder012.jpg]

Here they are cooking, upstairs Kitchen:

[Image: Sauceiscooking013.jpg]

All Italians have a spare kitchen in the basemant:

[Image: Sauceontheotherburners014.jpg]

Smell the Sauce:

[Image: 2009Saucecooked016.jpg]

Jarring the tomatoes:

[Image: Jars015.jpg]

The final product:

[Image: 2009SauceinJars020.jpg]

Over 50 jars:

[Image: 2009Saucedone021.jpg]

- US_Tank - 09-07-2009

No room in the basement for Mrs. Tank and I to sleep but they have a damn kitchen down there.  How many jars do you have Mum?

- CigarJohn - 09-07-2009

BRAVO MR.MUM [winner]

- carl609 - 09-07-2009

Damn, nice work Mr. Mum.  Do you put anything else in it besides tomatoes?  Or is that a secret

- macallan2 - 09-08-2009

Very Nice jimmie!

Tank, remember the plan.  Steal as much of that shit as you can![lol][thumbsup]

- Maduro Pips - 09-08-2009

OMG!!! What a site!!! BRAVO MUM!!! Between this...the hot cherry peppers, the other dishes....you are becoming the LK's HERO! Chris should count his lucky stars for potentially having you as a father-in-law!!!

Do you drop any bay leaves or basil in the jars with the sauce? How long is the shelf life?

ps...very nice inground pool I see lurking in the background on one of the pics...the MUM rolls!

- Maduro Pips - 09-08-2009

for the non-Italians....notice the GREAT MUM only using the nice ROMA tomatoes...some nursery's call them the Viva Italias. Only the BEST for sauce!

- Jimmie the Mum - 09-08-2009

Maduro PiPs Wrote:OMG!!! What a site!!! BRAVO MUM!!! Between this...the hot cherry peppers, the other dishes....you are becoming the LK's HERO! Chris should count his lucky stars for potentially having you as a father-in-law!!!

Do you drop any bay leaves or basil in the jars with the sauce? How long is the shelf life?

ps...very nice inground pool I see lurking in the background on one of the pics...the MUM rolls!

Mario, Mario, Mario, of course there's basil in the jars. Home grown Basil...

As long as the jars are probably sealed during the cooking process then they will last a very long time. I have about 7 jars left over from last year.

- US_Tank - 09-08-2009

Jimmie the Mum Wrote:
Maduro PiPs Wrote:OMG!!! What a site!!! BRAVO MUM!!! Between this...the hot cherry peppers, the other dishes....you are becoming the LK's HERO! Chris should count his lucky stars for potentially having you as a father-in-law!!!

As long as the jars are probably sealed during the cooking process then they will last a very long time. I have about 2 jars left over from last year.

- Jimmie the Mum - 09-08-2009

US_Tank Wrote:
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:

As long as the jars are probably sealed during the cooking process then they will last a very long time. I have about 2 jars left over from last year.
This is why Tank is NOT allowed in the basement.