StogieChat Cigar Forum
HOT!!! - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Cigar Help 101 (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: HOT!!! (/thread-16796.html)

Pages: 1 2

- -PO- - 05-02-2006

Well it's that time of year again.  Heat, Heat, Heat.  I came home lastnight to find all three of my humis at 75 degrees and 71% humidity.  Damnit, it got too hot too fast.   So I sat there and contiplated what to do and where to move them since I can't keep the Air running all day, That would kill me.  Well I have a closet under the stairs where the access panel to under the house is, so I deceided to clean it out and put my stash there for the time being.  anyone else having problems with the heat yet?

- discdog - 05-02-2006

We didn't have much of a winter here in GA, only 2 days in the 30's all winter. My AC has been on since the first of March. I keep my humidors in the livingroom but my coolers are kept upstairs in an extra bedroom. If I don't run the air it will get over 80 really quickly. And it wreaks havoc on the humidity.

- CigarGuy - 05-02-2006

It's always a pain for me as well.

Not sure what I'll do if the current local doesnt work

- ScrooLoose - 05-02-2006

YES, it did get hot fast this year.  I'm not looking forward to August/September...

I need to get my digital camera working, but I have a little window unit in my room that stays set at 70 degrees, and my humi sits right underneath it, but most times right beside it.  It stays about 68-72% RH during the day.  As soon as I can I am going to hit my wife up for the Vicksburg Glass Top Humidor.  That'll fit right nice under the AC unit, and then I can start growing my selection.  It's also got a lock, so the kids will stay out of it.

- -PO- - 05-02-2006

ScrooLoose Wrote:YES, it did get hot fast this year.  I'm not looking forward to August/September...

I need to get my digital camera working, but I have a little window unit in my room that stays set at 70 degrees, and my humi sits right underneath it, but most times right beside it.  It stays about 68-72% RH during the day.  As soon as I can I am going to hit my wife up for the Vicksburg Glass Top Humidor.  That'll fit right nice under the AC unit, and then I can start growing my selection.  It's also got a lock, so the kids will stay out of it.
Sounds like you got it all set up.  I have a vent in the den where my sticks where but like I said to run the AC all day would kill me.

- ScrooLoose - 05-02-2006

PO Wrote:Sounds like you got it all set up.  I have a vent in the den where my sticks where but like I said to run the AC all day would kill me.
Luckily our utilities aren't too outrageous.  Our city council (and I work for those idiots) did not vote on a fixed price for natural gas before the hurricanes hit us, and then when the price tripled overnight, and so did our bills, they wanted to oust the Mayor.  But I only recently (4 months ago), moved back into the city limits.  My utility bill usually averages about $300 a month, but that is also counting Me, the wife, and 4 kids running around the house, and a gas leak in the stove...  Ah, the life of a homeowner...  lol

- -PO- - 05-02-2006

ScrooLoose Wrote:
PO Wrote:Sounds like you got it all set up.  I have a vent in the den where my sticks where but like I said to run the AC all day would kill me.
Luckily our utilities aren't too outrageous.  Our city council (and I work for those idiots) did not vote on a fixed price for natural gas before the hurricanes hit us, and then when the price tripled overnight, and so did our bills, they wanted to oust the Mayor.  But I only recently (4 months ago), moved back into the city limits.  My utility bill usually averages about $300 a month, but that is also counting Me, the wife, and 4 kids running around the house, and a gas leak in the stove...  Ah, the life of a homeowner...  lol
LOL, yeah I know what you mean.  Our during off months ( no AC/No Heat) runs about 200-300 a month but when we are the on months look out 400-500.

- Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo - 05-07-2006

Po, no water in your mumidifiers. Solution only. If you mix your own, go 60/40 (more solution) and this will help to keep the humidity down.

Also, consider propping open your humidor form time to time for a few hours and even removing all humidifiers.

I live in NY on the water. It gets HOT & MUGGY here. It's not uncommon for me to find 100% humidity in my back yard at 90 degree heat. Yes, I do run my AC for my cigars (no one is home all day but I keep my setback thermostats no higher than 76 when I'm at work, but 80 on the floor where I dont have any cigars stored).

I think you'll find tho that these occasional fluctuations will be quite OK. Your biggest problem will be mold on your humidifiers (which I now consider disposable)

- -PO- - 05-08-2006

Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Po, no water in your mumidifiers. Solution only. If you mix your own, go 60/40 (more solution) and this will help to keep the humidity down.

Also, consider propping open your humidor form time to time for a few hours and even removing all humidifiers.

I live in NY on the water. It gets HOT & MUGGY here. It's not uncommon for me to find 100% humidity in my back yard at 90 degree heat. Yes, I do run my AC for my cigars (no one is home all day but I keep my setback thermostats no higher than 76 when I'm at work, but 80 on the floor where I dont have any cigars stored).

I think you'll find tho that these occasional fluctuations will be quite OK. Your biggest problem will be mold on your humidifiers (which I now consider disposable)
Thanks John for the info

- Mark - 05-08-2006

PO Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Po, no water in your mumidifiers. Solution only. If you mix your own, go 60/40 (more solution) and this will help to keep the humidity down.

Thanks John for the info
John has the right idea.  Even if you are not running your A/C to keep your cigars cool it will save you money if you use a digital programable t-stat with a set back feature.  If you keep your t-stat set to 76-78 while you are at work instead of letting your house get to 90+ degrees your A/C will run less and use less electricity.  Even though the A/C will be able to come on all day it will maintain a reasonable temp and will easily drop your house down to 70 when you return.  If your house gets up to 90+ degrees and you turn it on when you return you A/C will run for much longer than it should to pull your house down to a comfortable temp.