Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take.....
How long does it take for a cigar to change ???

There are several reasons to let cigars rest.
A)Acclimating to humidity takes a week or two.
B)Then there's the change that happens when oils & flavors begin to merge & the cigar matures.
C) Then aging for years.

My question is around B.....

How long does the change from "fresh rolled" to mature take??? For example, I read somewhere that Padillia 1932's are best after resting for a few weeks for flavors to be at their best. Is there a magic number or guideline for how long to rest a new box before smoking ??

Thanks !!!!

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.
Steven Wright
I do not believe there is a exaclt amount of time....It's more like guess and check to me Big Grin
About a month, as far as my past experience goes. Smile
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
It all depends on what you're looking for. To acclimate a cigar to the humidity level in your humidor, you're probably looking at a couple of weeks. If you want to actually age a cigar, you're generally looking at a couple of years minimum.
Also depends on how fresh they are. My Johnny O mumceros probably need about 3 months or so.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
So many variables. It probably changes every day, but how long before you notice it... How perceptive are you? What did you have to eat or drink or smoke before? What is the temperature of your storage humidor? How about the humidity? What other cigars were near or around it? Was there air circulation? How oily were the leaves used in the cigar?
And of course what everyone else said.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
For me asking how long it takes to age a cigar is like asking the Owl how long it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie roll Pop..... I'll Puff, Pufff, Never Puff,puff Know Puff!
Change is going to be different depending on the cigar and on your personal preferences. A good example for my is the Anejo line form Fuente. I like them aged but after 5 years of age I feel they go down hill quick.
--Mike
I agree with all of you according to Rocky Patel all his cigars are ready out of the package because they have have been sitting for years i say thats Bull S---
(10-17-2011, 05:44 PM)jam Wrote: I agree with all of you according to Rocky Patel all his cigars are ready out of the package because they have have been sitting for years i say thats Bull S---

i've read that from others too. but i think they mean the tobaccos have been sitting for years. then they roll it and ship it. doesn't really give the flavors long to blend together, but i could be wrong- maybe they leave the cigars in the aging room for that wrong.

but remember at some point a cigar peaks, then it's all downhill from there. i think the key is to find that peak. i never do, but i have a great time smoking them and wondering how close they are.