StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Dumba$$ Noob question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How exactly are cigars measured. I understand ring gauge (64ths of an inch) but length is throwing me. I see different sites measure the same cigar differently. I typically measure from the foot to the top of the cap BEFORE cutting, yet I see some of my smokes online that are up to 1/2 inch longer than what I measured them as. What am I doing wrong??

Also, in regards to ring gauge, how is that measured on a box pressed cigar? do you approximate the dimention of the stick as if it were round, or do you measure cross corner, or along one side of the darn thing??

US_Tank

There is no such thing as a dumb question.  I thought that cigars are measured in millimeters? 

My cigar knowledge is limited.  As a member here I count on the other's for advice and I am sure your well stated answer will be along shortly.
Box pressed cigars are round first, and later put into square shaped presses, so if you put a churhill (7x50 ) you know after you press it into the shape what the gauge is.

On length, should be inches but if they are off by a few, dont know? Bad quality control. And mostly cuban cigars are in mm, tank

Don should answer this, he a machinist
:dude:
Spot on, Sergio.  [potofgold]
1/64" of an inch is ring gage or .015625 to be exact. The length is measured in inches from the head to the foot. I have used my digital calipers to check both length and ring size and it is really close for a handmade product. For instance, a typical toro is 6X50, my measurements  on length are withing are always within a 1/16" or .0625 and ring size is always closer usually within a 1/64",50 ring = 3/4" or .750.

The reason the measurments may be off, is they are measured while they make them and probably shrink somewhat in the aging rooms. IMO

I have seen Cubans advertised in english and metric. To convert metric mm. to english divide mm. by 25.4.
Cool
Don Rocks. My dad is also a machinist, at heart, he works at doing something similar to that but he loves nothing more than cutting up metal, taking measurements and making parts.

I say that cause he knows little about cigars but will talk to me for hours about the proper way to measure oneBig Grin. Unfortunately I cant remember all those measurements

And yes the cigars do shrink with humidity, the leaves are wet and stretched out for rolling but when most of that moister dries they shrink a bit, about 1/64's worthWink