Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video on beads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihCiq7FEMtE&mode=related&search=
nice find there skipper.
is the green foam really a breeding home for mold? i have one of those things in one of my humidors. maybe i should take it out.
If foam works for you and you've never had a mold problem, keep using it.

If you ever develop a mold problem, instead of buying new foam, a new container to hold it, etc- just buy beads.

My $.02
scott81425 Wrote:is the green foam really a breeding home for mold? i have one of those things in one of my humidors. maybe i should take it out.

there is a fungalcide in that foam, but the conditions are so perfect it will be limited. Some of my green stuff turns white or black with mold in no time. Others last. It seems to be hit or miss.

Any dark, still (no wind) and damp environment is a breeding ground for mold. That's why your humidor is made of cedar. it resists mold.
just out of curiosity, if anyone has used that method, do you have to take the humidifier back apart to recharge the beads?
scott81425 Wrote:just out of curiosity, if anyone has used that method, do you have to take the humidifier back apart to recharge the beads?

this si the first thing I did with my beads... I had an old green foam filled job that was growing a beard. I opened it and washed it out with bleach and water. The probloem is, I filled it with charged (wet) beads. When the beads dry they shrink. Some of the smaller beads have fallen out and continue to do so. So ifyou want to do this make sure you use a small mesh screen covering the plastic vents.

As for recharging, recharge it like you would any other humidifier.
so, i could just spray it with water after replacing the green with the beads. i figured i'd just use the pantyhose like in the video, that seemed to work well and was cheap. i just didn't want to have to take the thing apart to recharge it.
i dont spray, I squirt in water like I would if the foam was still in there.
for what it's worth, i had moldy problems with cheaper foams, but ever since i forked out the $ for actual credos and their "special solution," it's been golden, going on a year and a half. whether it's the foam or the solution that made the difference, i have no idea.