Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
traveling with cigars and "dry box"
So Im leaving on friday to cali for 4 days. I decided that I needed a bigger travel humidor for this trip so I picked up a Xikar 18 count. After looking around in the travel P0RN thread it seem that most of you guys dont use the humidity for fear of mold. So my sticks will b cool for my trip with out humidity? If kept in the sealed Xikar they will stay nice the whole trip? Ive always traveled with humi packs like Tank with my old travel humidor but it would be nice not to have to worry bout it....Another question I got is Ive noticed a few guys talk about a "dry box". One member was refering to putting a couple sticks in his dry box for a day b4 his smoked them, and another refered to his travel humi acting like a dry box and some of the best stick he ever smoked came out of it....Ive never heard of a ''dry box'',whats the deal with it?
Thanks fellas,
Nick
hi nick,

try a boveda pack in your travel humidor if you are worried about your sticks on a several day trip to Cali.

http://www.boveda-direct.com/

they retail for approx $4. 

Ross
I'd put a Boveda pack in there since it's so cold and dry right now.  Cigars will dry out quick in this weather.
yeah but in the travel humi P0RN alot of the guys are sayin that they dont use anything when they travel.  Im wondering what the deal is with that? And what this dry box deal is all about? My common sence tells me that when traveling I would still want my cigars in a controlled enviroment just like anyother time....
I use a boveda pack in my 15 count & 30 count otterboxes when I hit the road.  I usually go out for 2-4 days and the bovedas work fine.

Ross
Unless you are going away for an extended amount of time there really is no reason to humidify your traveldor.  Your cigars hold the same amount of humidity that is in your humidor, you say you picked up an 18 ct traveldor, if you filled it, the space inside will become humidifed from your cigars.  Unless your cigars are very dry to begin with you really wont notice a difference over a couple days to a week.

"Dry Boxing" is when you remove a cigar from your humidor and stick it in another humidor or tupperdor that isnt humidifed a couple hours to a couple days before smoking.  This is usually done to very oily cigars that smoke much better at a lower RH than other cigars.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
MArk's spot on here.  Another thing to remember here is that the travel humi's we all use are plastic and sealed.  They don't breath.  The only time you have a change in humidity level is when you open the case. I never humidify my traveldors when I'm on the road.  I've found that on extended trips I just put the new sticks I pick up in the case as they seem to always be wet compared to what I like for smoking anyways.  I have every size of the otterbox/xikar cases made (including the 50 churchill sizeConfusedhockSmile and this system has always worked for me.  When I'm in Vegas in the summer I have no trouble and I've been out there for 10-12 days at a time and things were still smoking fine.  Like I said, I usually make a point of it to hit the local B&M when I travel so I add a few more very moist sticks to the mix every time.  I don't think a humidipak would hurt really.  I just don't see the need for it.  Oh yeah, and I do store the foam shelves in my humi for a few days before I travel to allow them to get some humidity in them as well.Wink
Thats the info I was lookin for. thanks guys[thumbsup]