Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the oakmont massacre
for all of us who've struggled and howled at our local muni courses, this is the golf tournament of the year. mickleson already snapped and blamed the usga, the golf course, and probably god for his hideous round yesterday.

the rough is gigantic, the greens are made of lubed fiberglass, and the fairways tilt like jimmy stewart's brain in "vertigo."

can't wait to see who loses it next. gonna pour a cold double-tall, light up a nice cigar, and enjoy the carnage. fore!
I'm with ya!  Loving what the course is doing right now.  I couldn't handle it if it was like this every week but it shure is nice to see these guys struggle like this a couple times a year.  I believe one of the course officials said it best when he said they're not trying to embarrass the best golfers in the world out there.  They're trying to identify them!  I wish I could set around and watch all day but I've gotta hit the bike for about 3 hours. 

Enjoy your day![cigar][guiness]
It's hard every year, its the Open.  Even par usually wins the tournament so I don't see why he snapped.  The year he was runner up at Pinehurst No. 2 he didn't say the same about the USGA, although John Daly flipped that year.  He had a shitty round, everyone else played the same course.  IMO he made bad decisions and I hate seeing golfers blame the course or the governing body for their bad round.  Ditto w/ mac.
[user=683]Grassroots[/user] wrote:
Quote:It's hard every year, its the Open.  Even par usually wins the tournament so I don't see why he snapped.  The year he was runner up at Pinehurst No. 2 he didn't say the same about the USGA, although John Daly flipped that year.  He had a shitty round, everyone else played the same course.  IMO he made bad decisions and I hate seeing golfers blame the course or the governing body for their bad round.  Ditto w/ mac.

mick threw a tantrum, i think that's all. physical pain will definitely do that to a person. for all his family man, nice guy image, the scuttlebutt is that he's definitely got an ornery side. but i still love to watch him chip when he's on.
Bungalowbill Wrote:[user=683]Grassroots[/user] wrote:
Quote:It's hard every year, its the Open.  Even par usually wins the tournament so I don't see why he snapped.  The year he was runner up at Pinehurst No. 2 he didn't say the same about the USGA, although John Daly flipped that year.  He had a shitty round, everyone else played the same course.  IMO he made bad decisions and I hate seeing golfers blame the course or the governing body for their bad round.  Ditto w/ mac.

mick threw a tantrum, i think that's all. physical pain will definitely do that to a person. for all his family man, nice guy image, the scuttlebutt is that he's definitely got an ornery side. but i still love to watch him chip when he's on.
Having been around him at a couple tourney's and knowing lumpy (Tim Herron) and what he's gossiped about the tour, Phil's an ass.  The only reason guys don't call him out is there's a code of sorts about letting a guy portray himself any way he wants since his image is, essentially, his business.  He does have one hell of a short game though...Wink
macallan2 Wrote:
Bungalowbill Wrote:[user=683]Grassroots[/user] wrote:

Having been around him at a couple tourney's and knowing lumpy (Tim Herron) and what he's gossiped about the tour, Phil's an ass.  The only reason guys don't call him out is there's a code of sorts about letting a guy portray himself any way he wants since his image is, essentially, his business.  He does have one hell of a short game though...Wink

I actually play golf left handed (played to about a 12 handicap when I payed) and always rooted for Mickelson up until the last couple of years.  The US Open is a perfect example of why he can't get beyond himself.

The idea of winning golf tournaments is to compete against the field not par or the golf course.  Par is all relative.  They could say par on every hole is 1 and it wouldn't make an iota of difference in the final outcome of the tournament.  That's why Tiger is probably the greatest golfer ever because he competes with himself without forgetting the rest of the field.  Mickelson is ALWAYS trying to birdie EVERY hole and that's just not realistic since all you're trying to do is beat everyone else NOT par.

I don't care what anyone says, the US Open brings the cream to the top since the people who get that end up winning.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
wow. killer inside info, mac. image vs. reality... "do not look behind the curtain!"

i usually back ernie, but for now i'll have to go with furyk, because any guy who's had his swing analyzed with "he looks like a guy trying to kill a snake in a phone booth" is my kind of golfer.