Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the hydra
tafdom Wrote:Yes you would need to remove the foam. I used a small steel wire or pen knife to swish it back and fourth until it all broke up. Flushed it with water until it was all clear and clean. Then I mixed the beads and filled the canaster. Took 15 minutes. Think of a tablespoon of beads making 3, 8 ounce cups. Works like a champ and lasts months between fills.
Great, thanks for the tip!
rikdilor Wrote:
tafdom Wrote:Yes you would need to remove the foam. I used a small steel wire or pen knife to swish it back and fourth until it all broke up. Flushed it with water until it was all clear and clean. Then I mixed the beads and filled the canaster. Took 15 minutes. Think of a tablespoon of beads making 3, 8 ounce cups. Works like a champ and lasts months between fills.
Send me your addy and I'll send you some. How many total humidifier type devices do you have? Even the small ones with the green foam do you have? I have even seen them at the science like shops at the mall. I think the larger garden centers might have them. Just let me know. I have enough for the entire site I think.  LOL 

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Nice gesture T.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
This is 1/2 teaspoon of crystals that grew to almost 2 full cups. 15.5 ounces.  It absorbed 11 ounces of water. WOW  I have always been impressed with it and used it for 20 years. It has been used in cigars for a few years I guess. I sure wish I'd thought of it. Can you say retired? Awesome stuff. I know it's not the other beads but it's not quite the same result. It has replaced every piece of green foam I had and lasts months. I even make my own jars and use some tubos that I can put in a box of cigars. I have even tested it using Propylene Glycol Humidifier Solution to maintain a 72% humidity and it worked.  OCD all the way.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

tafdom Wrote:I even make my own jars and use some tubos that I can put in a box of cigars. 

I like to talk you about that later this week.  
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Hey guys, I v been lurking mostly since I joined here but I found this on another  forum and thought I might help. Good luck!

“I just read this thread and decided to call Quality Importers (the manufacturer of the Hydra) to get his thought on this.

After discussions with the manufacturer, I believe we figured out what might be the problem.

There are three adjustments that can be made to the Hydra.

1 is a knob that adjusts the display and two buttons to adjust the humidity level up and down.

The knob is only for adjusting the reading on the display.

For instance, if you have a calibrated digital hygrometer that you know is 70% and the Hydra's display is reading 68%, you can turn the knob to adjust the Hydra's display to read 70%.

The up and down buttons are what adjusts how much the humidity the Hydra puts out and should be used for setting the humidity level.

When the knob for adjusting the display is turned all the way down (to the negative) this bypasses the humidity sensor causing the Hydra to think that it is out of water even when it is not which is what would cause the beeping.

I also found out that Quality Importers is working on a larger version of the Hydra that I imagine will regulate up to 16 cubic feet within the next month or so.

I guess in short, I wanted to find out if the knob is turned all the way down in one direction? If so, turning it to the center and adjust the humidity level with the buttons. This should take care of the sensor thinking it's out of water and stop the beeping.

I hope this helps.”

tafdom Wrote:
rikdilor Wrote:
Send me your addy and I'll send you some. How many total humidifier type devices do you have? Even the small ones with the green foam do you have? I have even seen them at the science like shops at the mall. I think the larger garden centers might have them. Just let me know. I have enough for the entire site I think.  LOL 
I have 4 of them... Thanks.

Good_Stogies_Mon Wrote:Hey guys, I v been lurking mostly since I joined here but I found this on another  forum and thought I might help. Good luck!

“I just read this thread and decided to call Quality Importers (the manufacturer of the Hydra) to get his thought on this.

After discussions with the manufacturer, I believe we figured out what might be the problem.

1 is a knob that adjusts the display and two buttons to adjust the humidity level up and down.

For instance, if you have a calibrated digital hygrometer that you know is 70% and the Hydra's display is reading 68%, you can turn the knob to adjust the Hydra's display to read 70%.

The up and down buttons are what adjusts how much the humidity the Hydra puts out and should be used for setting the humidity level.

When the knob for adjusting the display is turned all the way down (to the negative) this bypasses the humidity sensor causing the Hydra to think that it is out of water even when it is not which is what would cause the beeping.

I also found out that Quality Importers is working on a larger version of the Hydra that I imagine will regulate up to 16 cubic feet within the next month or so.

I guess in short, I wanted to find out if the knob is turned all the way down in one direction? If so, turning it to the center and adjust the humidity level with the buttons. This should take care of the sensor thinking it's out of water and stop the beeping.

I hope this helps.”

That's great info... I didn't know about the knob action, I thought it was to adjust the humididy level...
t, that is awesome! i'd be interested in hearing how you do this, as i believe that i have to fill my units far too often. do you fill it less often than with the foam? i know you said it lasts a long time, but i don't know how relevant that is. some people tell me the foam lasts a long time too. i have an extra water cartridge for both my hydra and my oasis and i'd be interested in doing this. nice work man.
rikdilor Wrote:
Good_Stogies_Mon Wrote:Hey guys, I v been lurking mostly since I joined here but I found this on another  forum and thought I might help. Good luck!

I hope this helps.”

That's great info... I didn't know about the knob action, I thought it was to adjust the humididy level...
Ditto....nice find!! Thanks! Smile
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...