Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question for the computer savvy
Roger - The Bargain Hunter Wrote:We ghost images all day , I go from a 250gb to a 120 a lot with no problem, 7 years ago you could not do that.  You do not need an enclosure either, they have cables that have a power supply for this, geeks has them 12.00

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020-OTB&cat=CBL&cpc=CBLbsc

[Image: details.asp?invtid=2020-OTB&cat=CBL&cpc=CBLbsc]
I've seen those too.  I was not sure if they would actually pull ALL the data from the drive, including windows & boot information.   Most of the cable kits just say they will move your data.

I also believe that Ghost will restore to different drives, otherwise it would be pretty hard to recover your data because most replacements drives double in capacity every year, thus finding a *same* replacement would be hard.  I think originally Ghost had that limitation because of the OS. ?
the cable kits will work if you use a utility like ghost , the best way is to burn a boot cd with ghost on it and boot the pc off the cd. Just make sure the boot cd has the usb drivers for the cable kit and for the pc's drive. It sounds more complex than it is. It should take about 5 minutes tops for the transfer this way. Also you may want to ask around and see what some local shiops may charge for this, it may cost about the same as the kit w/shipping, because it will only take them about 5 minutes to do it, if you just supply them with the 2 drives.

thanks everybody.  should be fun to try.  maybe learn something new including some swear word combos after i smost likely screw it up at least once. Big Grin
Here is a pretty good link about creating a boot CD , it has some ghost stuff in it as well

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
Man this is a disiaster waiting to happen, ever consider a external hard drive. Or hell bite the bullet and bring it into the geek squad they shouldn't charge you more than $200-$300 for the first hour.
Keith Wrote:Man this is a disiaster waiting to happen, ever consider a external hard drive. Or hell bite the bullet and bring it into the geek squad they shouldn't charge you more than $200-$300 for the first hour.

lol

hell, Debbi just bought a new laptop for only $800 it has a 160 gigabyte disk with 4 gigs of memory! & dude, it's a Dell.
What Eric said.
And Rob, why stop at 120?  Go for 250GB! 
Big Grin
the drive has been ordered.  this should be interesting.  Wink