Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
over doing it for the bedroom?
(12-27-2010, 01:44 PM)Domniomaestro Wrote: Maybe I'm just old. Maybe I have too much literal common sense. And with that, I mean no disrespect to anyone at all.

I just cannot see the need for HD, or for monster screens.

What I have typed below, could absolutely be considered a rant. And I would like to suggest that you skip it, if you are easily offended.
It is NOT my intention to offend anyone, but this turned into a lot that I dont want to just "delete" away. If you want to see it, highlite it, If not, then...nothing to see here...drive on. Smile

My 46 was chosen the following way...
I had a pretty normal tube set. I dont recall the dimensions but I wanted to reclae my dresser top space by hanging a TV on the wall. I also reasoned that a good percentage of what I was about to watch would not be wide screen, so with the edges cut off,l I wanted to make sure my new expensive tate-of-the-art TV would not give me a smaller picture even with the same of bigger size (due to the unused width). So I measured the height of my old TV and walked in with a ruller and would only consider any TV equal to or greater than the height of my old set yielding the same size picture.
Now, everything comes in wide screen, so it's even better.
And yes, the quality of that picture does in fact add to the quality of the experience.
Less eye strain
Less headaches (probably the same point)
More enjoyment

And... gained a ton of dresser space for my watch collection
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Did you get a TV yet?

This 55" looks to be a good deal
VIZIO E550VL 55"
(12-29-2010, 06:13 PM)izzypizzy Wrote: Did you get a TV yet?

This 55" looks to be a good deal
VIZIO E550VL 55"

not yet, any day now, vizio's scare me man, i hear alot of problems with them having damaged pixels

For a bedroom that size I would stay around the 46 or less. When lying in bed you are going to want to relax and watch the tv. The larger the screen the more your eyes will follow the screen motion. Just picture a 20" screen on your computer, or a 30" screen on your computer at the same distance. That is extreme, but after a few hours of using the larger screen your eyes will hurt. Lying in bed, propped up with pillows and such, how far will you actually be from the screen. I bet your actual viewing distance will be around 2' less than your room size.

Second reason, HEAT. The 40" class tv's give off quite a bit of heat as it is. Move to the 50-55, or 55+ and you can count on the bedroom being an easy 5-10 degrees warmer (or more) with just a couple hours of use. if you are considering the LCD TV with the LED backlighting, then that IS the way to go because it greatly reduces the heat & energy use. If its a regular LCD TV or plasma, count on it being an extra heater.

1080 or 720? Tuff call. If you are hooking up anything true HD like a Sony PS3/Blue ray system, or cable/sat with HD, then go with the 1080. You are paying for the signal, why not use it? If you are not running anything HD and don't plan to, then go with 720.
AWESOME point on the heat. When my son got his in the upstairs room he complained it being hot. I walked around with a laser thermometer and started checking temps. The 42" lg was putting out 112* and his PS3 was over 100 and on and on. We had to put a 5000BTU window ac in to bring the temp down from 88*. Now he's gone and everything is normal. Imagine the utility bill going down $85 a month.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.